Through disability support programs offered in Vegreville, AB, WJS Canada helps adult residents who have a developmental disability reach the highest possible levels of independence and self-sufficiency in their daily lives and strive for inclusion in the community. Personalized planning and programming ensures that residents receive the support they need to achieve their goals - from moderate to high level support for clients with multiple or complex support needs, to others requiring less intensive or minimal support. We encourage family involvement and respect individual choices regarding activities and programming options. To ensure the “Best Fit” for all,
we create companionship among residents who share similar interests.
As a Complex Needs Disability Support Worker, you will use your extensive knowledge and experience with disabilities, to identify issues, set goals and celebrate success. Each day you will coach individuals with behavior, emotional or physical challenges, teach daily living and good citizenship skills, encourage independence, reinforce strengths that are already in place and offer support within community-based homes and around the community.
In Your Role You Will
- Assist and support individuals with developing and achieving personal goals.
- Ensure individuals basic needs are met, i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
- Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
- Assist the person in service with daily tasks at the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, cleaning, etc.)
- Encourage opportunities for social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
- Drive individuals to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
- Contributes toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
- Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
- Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
- MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities & complex needs.
- MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
- Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
- A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
- Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
- First Aid/CPR Certification
- Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
- Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
Our Employees Enjoy
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
Our local, innovative parking and technology company is looking for a motivated individual to join our team who is seeking a long-term career opportunity with growth potential as the company expands. [...]
JOB DESCRIPTION: - Keep our lot clean at all times - Take the lead and think outside the box - Able to work without supervision and still give 100% effort - Track record of perfect attendanc [...]
PRESENTLY SEEKING MATURE RESPONSIBLE RELIABLE FRONT LINE STAFF FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE POSITIONS. PLEASE APPLY IN PERSON BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 9AM - 4 PM Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent [...]
Requisition ID: 16989 Position Number: 20032218 Posting End Date: Open Until Filled City: Winnipeg Site: WRHA Corporate Work Location: 650 Main Street Department / Unit: Qualit [...]