North Island College
Posting Number SS0035
Division Finance & Facilities
Department Facilities Management
Supervisor Title Manager, Facilities Operations
Location Comox Valley/Campbell River (CV/CR)
Posting Type Internal/External Posting
Position Status Temporary
If Others, please specify Casual On-Call
Desired Start Date 01/04/2021
Position End Date (if temporary)
Weekly work schedule (please indicate the start and end times for each day of work)
Pay Grade E: $23.88-$25.37
Reporting to the Manager, Facilities Operations, the Maintenance Support Assistant is responsible for providing identified operational and maintenance services including aspects of security,
health and safety, moving, general/minor repairs and general site maintenance. The position will work cooperatively with other services, both public and private to meet these objectives. This is a casual on-call position. The Maintenance Support Assistant is aware of the Mission and Values of North Island College, incorporating and practicing the values in everything they do.
- Job Knowledge
- Planning & Organization
- Customer Service Excellence
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Duties & Responsibilities
- Surveys the Campus grounds each morning for suspicious activities, security concerns, vandalism or other situation;
- Ensures all specified external entrances to buildings are disarmed and open to the public by 8:00 am Monday to Friday. These requirements may vary during non-instructional periods;
- Ensures that specified classrooms are unlocked by 8:00 a.m.;
- Reports any door or lock malfunctions to supervisor;
- Assists faculty and staff that may be locked out of their offices or classrooms.
Health and Safety
- (be prepared to) respond to any health and safety issues associated with slipping, tripping or other related concerns that are identified. This may include the movement of obstacles, rerouting of extension cords, securing bookshelves and filing cabinets to walls, the clean up of oil spills and other related tasks.
- Responsible for dismantling, movement, setup and installation of furniture, equipment, and other related supplies;
- Responsible for the physical movement, storage and disposal of obsolete or surplus furniture, equipment and related supplies, to established procedures and practices.
- Minor repairs and modifications including the installation of keyboard trays, repairs to desks and filing cabinets, hanging of pictures, assembly of bookshelves and furniture, and other related tasks.
General Site Maintenance
- Monitors walkways for ice and apply ice melt as needed;
- During minor snowfalls clears all entrances and walkways between buildings and applies ice melt as needed;
- May be required to operate small equipment including a snow blower;
- Reports any serious snow or ice issues to supervisor;
- Monitors condition of campus roadways and parking lots, reporting any damaged or missing signs or other grounds maintenance issues.
Required Education & Experience
- Grade 12 plus construction apprenticeship training;
- Five years experience in construction or acceptable combination of training and experience.
Required Knowledge Skills & Abilities
- Good time management and interpersonal skills to provide courteous and timely service to College employees and students;
- Good understanding of basic construction tools, power tools, and their application and maintenance;
- Good manual dexterity and good physical condition.
Special Instructions to Applicant
Please scan copies of your transcripts into one document for attachment. If your transcripts are not available at the time of application, please attach a letter or certificate of confirmation from the educational institution.
Posting Open Date 12/11/2020
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Posting Number F0304 Division Health & Human Services Department Practical Nursing Supervisor Title Dean, Faculty of Health & Human Services Location Comox Valley/Campbell River/ Port Alb [...]
Posting Number SS0133 Division Finance & Facilities Department Finance Supervisor Title Manager, Financial Services Location Comox Valley(CV) Posting Type Internal/External Posting Positio [...]
Posting Number SS0133 Division Finance & Facilities Department Finance Supervisor Title Manager, Financial Services Location Comox Valley(CV) Posting Type Internal/External Posting [...]
Comox Valley Early Childhood Educator Assistants, J. Puddleduck Preschool/ Daycare Society is looking to hire one more permanent member to our team. We are a Nonprofit Society, happily serving the Co [...]