British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
BCIT’s Information Technology Services (ITS) Department is currently seeking two regular, full-time Network Administrators to join our Technical Operations team. Working with a wide variety of individuals and teams within and outside the department, you will be responsible for the research, design, implementation and operation of enterprise class network environments related to the IT Academic, Administrative and Research agendas of BCIT.
This position prefers a professional with at least four years of intermediate experience in the IT industry. Candidates must have a strong background in network architecture, design and operation in a large, multi-campus environment.
Duties & Responsibilities
maintain and monitor the tools for network activity and connectivity.
- Troubleshoot, diagnose, and resolve network problems using these tools.
- Participate in planning, installing, and supporting networking technology, including hardware and software, for both wired and wireless environments.
- Participate in the onboarding and support of wireless devices.
- Configuration and deployment of wireless access points.
- Involved in campus IT infrastructure projects including building engineering and control systems.
- Assist with management of IT security control points, such as firewall and VPN.
- Adhere to established standards, procedures and configuration management for network hardware.
- Facilitate the upgrade and replacement of network hardware as assigned by senior staff.
- Perform in-depth troubleshooting using knowledge of network & server administration, internet protocols, database architecture, application configuration, details analysis of statistics, logs, and tools.
- Stay abreast of new technologies and practices.
- Maintain appropriate professional designations and up-to-date knowledge of current information technology techniques and tools.
- Participate in on call rotation and overtime as needed.
- Institute of Technology diploma, or Bachelor’s Degree in science or business; and
- A minimum of four (4) years current relevant experience in an IT environment similar to BCIT; including two (2) of the past four (4) years in a similar position: or
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Must have demonstrated specific current IT knowledge.
- Proven commitment to providing and maintaining the highest level of customer service.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to meet changing priorities and multi-task while meeting strict deadlines.
- Must be a team player and work well with cross-departmental teams.
- Ability to learn quickly and apply new knowledge and techniques.
- Commitment to regular ongoing professional development (including specific IT skills, professional associations and current industry trends).
- High level of professionalism and ethics.
Your background should also include:
- Experience in all (preferred) or most of these technical specialty areas:
- Strong TCP/IP troubleshooting skills.
- Enterprise routing and switching – IGP/EGP, multicast, QoS, STP.
- System services and security – SNMP, RMON, Netconf, 802.1x, RADIUS-AAA, NAC.
- Enterprise firewall management experience (Juniper SRX preferred).
- Enterprise wireless solutions – familiarity with mobile device management and onboarding.
- Demonstrated programming and scripting skills – BASH, Python and Perl preferred.
- Experience with UNIX and FOSS operating systems.
- Experience with IP Address Management (IPAM) solutions including BIND/DNS and ISC DHCP.
- Network monitoring and log management – eg. Intermapper, Nagios, Syslog, Splunk.
- Familiarity with virtualization technologies including VMware ESXi.
- Experience with directory services including Active Directory and LDAP.
- VPN management.
- Cleary able to articulate complex topics to others, in internal and external situations, using both technical and non-technical language.
- Work on multiple project priorities in projects that vary in complexity, human resource availability and budget.
- Identifying and applying networking concepts and strategies in a complex enterprise environment.
- Producing detailed technical documentation and architecture diagrams.
Experience in the following will be an asset:
- Industry accredited certifications in network technologies (Juniper, Aruba, Cisco preferred)
- Network security
- Cloud technologies
- Higher Education environment
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC’s Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a superb pension plan.
- Eligibility for partial remote work upon Institute approval
- A 35 hour work week with 25 days of paid vacation prorated per year
- Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
Salary range: $56,970- $78,162
Additional Salary Information
Salary prorated based on percentage and term of appointment. Salary based on education, experience and placement criteria as outlined in the Collective Agreement.
Information Systems / Technology
Information Technology Services
BCIT Faculty and Staff Association (FSA)
Number of Vacancies
Anticipated Start Date
Anticipated End Date
Competition Open Date
Competition Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quicklink for Posting
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Konica Minolta is a Global Fortune 1000 Company that has contributed to the world of imaging technology for decades. No! We are no longer a camera company! Our lens technology has allowed us to succee [...]
BCIT’s Information Technology Services (ITS) Department is currently seeking two regular, full-time Network Administrators to join our Technical Operations team. Working with a wide variety of indiv [...]
Pacific Blue Cross has been British Columbia's leading benefits provider for 80 years. We are an independent, not-for-profit society with strong roots in BC’s health care system. Together with our s [...]
About Us: Rent-A-Nerd was established in 1997 and has a long history of providing excellent IT services. We take pride in knowing that we positively contribute to our clients’ ability to attain and [...]