AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Joining AbbVie means, you will be part of a team of outstanding professionals dedicated to making a remarkable impact on patients' lives. At AbbVie,
we conduct ground-breaking science on a global scale every day. AbbVie Canada is one of the Best Workplaces in Canada whereby 98% of our employees are proud to say they work for AbbVie and 96% are proud of how we contribute to the community.
When choosing your career path, choose to be remarkable.
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio.
We are presently recruiting for a full-time Manager, Ontario Government Affairs, based in Ontario, reporting to the Regional Manager- Market Access & Government Affairs, Western Canada & Ontario.
The successful candidate will continue to establish and represent AbbVie Canada as a creative partner to Ontario government policy makers, medical and patient associations, and other relevant stakeholders. Develops and leads strategic relationships with the Ontario Government and appropriate external stakeholders. You will lead the development and execution of Ontario Government and Abbvie Therapeutic Area policy strategies to ensure a supportive Ontario policy environment for all of AbbVie’s assets, supporting the overall Abbvie Government Affairs corporate strategies. You will be responsible for the development of Ontario Government and Therapeutic Area health policy strategies and implementation of tactics across the AbbVie portfolio.
The incumbent will be required to work collaboratively with the internal and field-based market access and government affairs teams and various cross functional departments to optimize policy conditions for AbbVie products and to maximize Ontario GA strategies. You will also monitor the Ontario policy maker environment, regulations and policies impacting Abbvie and proactively communicate risks/opportunities and recommendations to the business in a timely manner.
- Lead development and implementation of AbbVie’s annual Ontario Government Affairs and one of the Abbvie Therapeutic Area GA Strategies for Canada
- Collaborate, liaise, support, and align with other provincial and federal Government Affairs colleagues to ensure impactful and comprehensive policy Ontario GA engagement strategies
- Oversee all AbbVie Ontario Government policymaker interactions: to develop and execute AbbVie’s Ont health policy strategies and tactical plans.
- Work with internal and external subject matter experts to develop Ontario GA Therapeutic Area (TA) and policy position papers and advocacy tools.
- Convene a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders to develop actionable Ontario Government Affairs engagement plans that support overall brand and franchise strategies to ensure a supportive Ontario policy environment for AbbVie’s assets.
- Play an active role on internal brand teams, task forces and leadership teams to ensure Ontario and Affiliate Therapeutic Area Government Affairs Strategies and policy shaping initiatives are fully integrated into brand plans and Affiliate strategic priorities.
- Influence the development of Ontario legislation and policy, working with internal and external stakeholders, leading projects that drive Ontario policy changes for the benefit of patients.
- Assess ongoing Ontario health policy challenges and opportunities as environmental dynamics change, and ensure any potential impacts are communicated to the respective Brand and Market Access In-field Teams (IFT) as well as Global and AREA GA teams.
- Engage with trade association committees (Innovative Medicines Canada, Medtech Canada and BIOTECanada) to support AbbVie’s overall goals.
- Work with MA, Community Relations, Medical Affairs and Public Affairs, supporting interactions with key health care provider, patient association and other third-party stakeholders engaging in Ontario policy engagement activities.
- Support/ lead regular Abbvie GA Council meetings to ensure alignment and support of GA strategies for Ontario
- Liaise with Global and WEC GA leads as required to ensure alignment with TA and enterprise opportunities in Ontario
- Manage Ontario Government Affairs brand and Therapeutic Area budgets.
- Bachelor of Science degree, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Arts (Political Science), Bachelor Degree in Pharmacy or Pharm. D.
- At least 5 years of experience in a similar role in pharmaceutical industry
- The ideal candidate should have expertise in government affairs, market access, pharmacoeconomic and outcomes research with pertinent experience in the pharmaceutical industry, including previous experience directly dealing with payers.
- Strong commercial/ business background an asset.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (internal memos/ monthly reports/ meeting summary notes/ presentations to both internal and external customers)
- Strong negotiation and high-level influencing skills
- Solid understanding of public policy maker and drug advocacy reimbursement in Canada. Knowledge of the healthcare landscape, including local policy maker /provincial payer healthcare environment and healthcare funding budget flows.
- Knowledge of the needs and agendas of policy makers, MPPs, government officials, public payers, and influencers.
- Manage multiple projects with cross-functional aspects to ensure alignment
- Strategic thinking, problem solving, analytical and data interpretation skills to leverage business opportunities.
- Initiative and action-driven; translate market access strategies into actionable and realistic plans to maximize government and health policy opportunities for AbbVie products in a timely manner
- Strong cross-functional leadership skills and team player; work with head office to develop strategies and tools to fully leverage value stories with various external stakeholders.
- Strong communication effectiveness and presentation skills
- Ability to prioritize & project management skills; ability to manage multiple projects and work well under stress (timelines)
- Build strong and long-lasting relationships with high level Government (including Ministers, Deputy Ministers, Premier’s office) and public healthcare policy makers and influencers.
- Translate brand strategies into actionable and realistic Government Affairs engagement plans to ensure a supportive regional policy environment for AbbVie products.
- Influence the development of provincial legislation and policy, leveraging customized value propositions with policy makers, where appropriate.
- Shape multi-stakeholder brand and corporate projects to support public payer regional objectives
- Manage Government Affairs brand and corporate budgets.
- Work in coordination with brand and In field teams (IFT) to develop and execute the strategic direction for Government Affairs for Ontario
- Proficient with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as Outlook.
- Field based position. Availability to travel (up to 25% of time) within Canada and internationally.
- Valid Passport and driver’s license required.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities to apply.
Yes, 25 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Description The Opportunity Reporting to the Director of Customer Service and Communications this role is responsible for providing leadership in all aspects of Economic Development, Business Develo [...]
About AbbVie AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable [...]
Find Your Spot at Humber At Humber, our career paths open up a world of infinite possibilities for you to explore. People are at the heart of the Humber experience. Here, every day we work shoulde [...]
Admissions Advisor - Appendix D, Lakeshore Campus (2) - (19761) Find Your Spot at Humber At Humber, our career paths open up a world of infinite possibilities for you to explore. People ar [...]