British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
BCIT’s School of Health Sciences Medical Laboratory Science Department requires a temporary (1.0 FTE) Assistant Instructor to provide instruction (under the direction of program instructors) and technical services related to the preparation of student laboratories.
Duties & Responsibilities
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITES:
- assisting with Clinical Chemistry laboratory curriculum development, preparation, delivery and evaluation
- troubleshooting and problem solving on instruments, methodology and workflow
- handling and maintaining inventory levels of laboratory supplies
- Medical Laboratory Technologist (MLT) Diploma
- Current CSMLS registration
- Minimum five years recent technical experience in a medical laboratory
- Experience in training students (on the bench, leading workshops) or other educational experience an asset
The ideal candidate:
- has knowledge and technical ability essential to laboratory procedures and policies
- can effectively convey fundamental and complex theory to adult learners
- takes initiative; works independently and reliably with limited supervision
- practices effective time management: organizes self and workflow; adapts to changes in workflow and prioritizes to meet deadlines
- has good problem-solving skills: troubleshoots testing processes and reagents effectively
- works respectfully and collaboratively with students and staff
- listens, presents and writes effectively; uses communication technology appropriately and effectively
- has knowledge and/or technical experience in more than one medical laboratory subject area
- has experience with word processing, spreadsheets, and online learning environments
- is a competent resource person for students and colleagues
- comfortable working in an unstructured environment and in various lab settings
- desire and willingness to learn, change and be flexible
BENEFITS OF WORKING AT BCIT:
- Being a part of BC’s Top 100 Employers, and a member of the CCDI.
- A generous Total Compensation package which includes extended health and dental benefits and a superb pension plan.
- Access to Professional Development Funds and opportunities for career development.
- Increase your knowledge with Tuition waivers for BCIT courses.
- Enjoy discounted access to our fitness facilities (including classes like Yoga and Zumba).
- Additional Wellness and Employee Assistance programs.
$59,609 to $81,598 per annum
Additional Salary Information
Salary prorated based on percentage and term of appointment. Salary based on education, experience and placement criteria as outlined in the Collective Agreement.
SOHS Lab Sciences and Health Protection
BCIT Faculty and Staff Association (FSA)
Number of Vacancies
Anticipated Start Date
Anticipated End Date
Competition Open Date
Competition Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quicklink for Posting
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Company Description Life at Cineplex: Cineplex is synonymous with entertainment. Known as Canada’s largest and most innovative film exhibitor, we’re so much more than movies – operating The Re [...]
Job Description Summary The Scientific Communications Coordinator is responsible for supporting STEMCELL’s science communications initiatives, including websites, newsletters, and social media chan [...]
Building healthy spaces, one building at a time. Now more than ever, reliable, clean spaces are needed. So as the world returns to public spaces while remaining cautious, we are here to provide the s [...]
Are you a hard-working and self-motivated professional who is passionate about keeping spaces clean and safe? Are you looking for the opportunity to be part of a supportive team where you can expand y [...]