Ontario Tech University
Faculty or Department: Student Life
Number of Positions: 1
Position Title: Communications Coordinator
Appointment Type: Limited Term
Hours of work: 35 hours per week
Salary Range: Level 7 - Starting Salary, Step 1 $54,305
Posting Date: November 16, 2021
Closing Date: November 29, 2021
The communications coordinator will be responsible for assisting to plan, coordinate and develop a wide-range of student-facing communications within the office of Student Life. Using various communication channels such as print, web, digital, social media, SMS, presentations, CRM etc. this role will assist in fulfilling strategic and targeted communications to current students.
Nature of work:
- Reporting to the Manager of Student Life Communications, this role will work to execute the Student Life communication plans, and supports university-wide communications. This role works in close collaboration with all areas of the university, to oversee the development of an integrated communication plan to promote events and services to students. The incumbent will be a key factor in ensuring communications are comprehensive, consistent and reflective of university branding, and works to ensure students are supported and engaged through the student journey.
1. Content Creation
- Create, edit and develop communications, and content materials, in a variety of formats and using multiple platforms.
- Utilize e-communication tools, social media tools and multiple platforms to meet institutional goals.
- Liaise with a variety of stakeholders to establish appropriate content and communications for stakeholder needs.
- Apply university style guidelines, ensure consistent voice and tone, and ensure AODA compliance.
- Curates and collects content to meet requests (copy, videos, imagery etc.) from various stakeholders (faculty, students, alumni, university areas etc.).
2. Digital & CMS
- Implements integrations, develops processes and maintains systems to proactively target and nurture relationships with current students. This is including and not limited to software integrations, mobile app, lists, landing pages, forms, data mining, surveys, etc.
- Utilize the Content Management System (CMS) to create landing pages, content pages, and all Student Life related web pages.
- Submits and maintains all content for MyCampus web platform.
- Liaises with all university areas to ensure Student Life representation across a variety of digital events, and materials, where applicable (Open Houses, main university web pages, fairs etc.)
- Maintains and regulates current student communication submission website and processes for university stakeholders to submit content to current student communication channels for all university areas.
3. Communication Advising
- Stays apprised of opportunities that Ontario Tech could leverage to create awareness.
- Track and maintain a generic calendar of all communications to assist with advising areas of best timing, content collaboration, etc.
- Provide feedback, content, communication support, ideas and recommendations for improving the Ontario Tech brand, communication collateral, events and general Student Life initiatives.
- Maintain knowledge of best practices and current digital trends.
- Develop and assist with the communication plans in collaboration with the communication team and other Student Life team members.
- Identify effective communication channels, generate design ideas and facilitate the production of quality communications for students.
- Advise internal partners on strategic/effective communication strategies.
- Work with all university areas to ensure a cohesive university-wide communications strategy.
- Makes recommendations to improve communications based on insights, best practices, business objectives and available technology/communication channels.
- Compiles all communication and event analytics.
- Delivers reports to key stakeholders on event numbers, communication analytics, key performance indicators and trends within communication data.
- Researches and recommends additional communication opportunities and reach for recruiting students for events.
- Reports and provides tracking analytics for hyperlinks within communications.
- Edits, tracks, archives, verifies content and distributes mass current student communications, via the app, .net email accounts, and MyCampus platforms for all university areas.
- Provides web analytics and form information.
- Identifies baseline data for comparison.
- Analyzes the effectiveness of student communication strategies.
5. Creation and Maintenance
- Ensures communication lists are obtained from a variety of sources (Student Life areas, records, IT, OIRA, COGNOS) and are entered in with appropriate format and with accurate data fields.
- Inspects information to provide quality control for accurate communications and distribution.
- Maintains and organizes all lists to provide and establish a strong level of service and communications to segmented and targeted student distribution lists.
- Pulls applicable student lists for applicable communications and sends corresponding communications.
- Informs key stakeholders of accurate list requirements for current students (all vs. undergraduate and graduate, spring/summer/fall/winter term lists etc.)
- Regulates year-over-year contacts and lists, archives and ensures proper procedures are in place regarding safe storage of contact data.
- Client-centric and thorough understanding of target audiences and expectations, such as secondary, non-secondary, non-traditional, parents and community partners
- CMS and web knowledge required
- Strong technical and multimedia skills
- Exceptional writing ability, and solid grasp of AODA and CP style, including the ability to be creative and write in a variety of styles (e.g. straight news, promotional, advertising, human interest, etc.) on tight deadlines
- Strong research, interviewing, fact-checking and proofreading skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in using advanced features associated with the current versions of Word, Excel, Access, Photoshop, video editing software and PowerPoint required
- Exceptional initiative and ability to work independently with minimal direction but also participate in a collaborative team environment
- Strong organizational and administrative skills, with the proven ability to keep current on changes and trends in the university environment
- Post-secondary degree/diploma, specifically in a discipline related to communications, marketing, journalism/media-related field.
- University degree is preferred
- Verification of Academic credentials may be required
- Minimum 1 to 3 years of experience in a related environment
- Experience in a post-secondary environment is preferred
- Experience implementing communications plans, marketing and/or journalism, with responsibility for managing projects and developing communications is preferred
- Experience with a customer relationship management platform
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit in electronic format a covering letter and their resume. Applications will be accepted until November 29, 2021 or until a suitable candidate is found. We appreciate all applications received; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position falls within the bargaining unit represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU) and will be subject to the terms and conditions of the collective agreement between the university and the OPSEU. To the extent that policies are not included in the collective agreement, employment will also be governed by the university’s policies which may also be found on our website https://ontariotechu.ca and which may be amended from time-to-time.
Ontario Tech University is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, while especially encouraging applications from women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and Indigenous Peoples in Canada will be given priority.
Ontario Tech University respects people's different needs and therefore will take all reasonable steps to ensure accommodation for applicants where appropriate. The University is also committed to ensuring that confidentiality is maintained throughout all aspects of the recruitment cycle.
The University has implemented a mandatory vaccine directive and this affects all employees, students and community members attending our University campus. As a result, all Ontario Tech employees attending campus are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Where operational needs require you to attend campus to perform the duties of your job, you will be required to comply with this request and with the mandatory vaccine directive which requires all employees to be fully vaccinated to attend campus as of October 17, 2021. To learn more about the University’s mandatory vaccination directive, please click here.
The university recognizes some faculty and staff may require accommodations. We are committed to an accommodation process in which individualized needs (e.g. for medical and religious/creed grounds) are appropriately addressed under the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you require accommodation, please contact Julie Day, Health and Disability Management Specialist. For more information about the universities policies for accommodating employees with disabilities please review the university’s Accessibility Policy
The university acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation which is covered under the Williams Treaties. We are situated on the Traditional Territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation which includes Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Important note for Part-Time Facilitator applicants: Part-time recruitment is ongoing and is dependent on when courses are being taught and the need for faculty to teach. Part-Time Facilitators teach [...]
Overview: Swiss Chalet is looking for a Hostess for our 555 Laval Dr, Oshawa, Ont location! At Swiss Chalet we deliver delicious “home-made” food, made fresh in-house just for you. Our atmosphe [...]
Overview: Swiss Chalet is looking for Servers for our 555 Laval Dr, Oshawa, Ont location! At Swiss Chalet we deliver delicious “home-made” food, made fresh in-house just for you. Our atmosphere [...]
Durham College is seeking an experienced and motivated professional who shares our commitment to quality and student success. The School of Justice & Emergency Services requires a part-time professor [...]