City of Toronto
Job Category: Health Services
Division & Section: Seniors Services & Long Term Care, LTC Regional Services
Work Location: Castleview Wychwood Towers, 351 Christie St, Toronto, M6G 3C3
Job Type & Duration: Part-time, Ongoing
Hourly Rate and Wage Grade: $27.15 - $29.76, TH0075, wage grade 5
Shift Information: Monday to Sunday, 40 hours per week, Shifts include Days, Evenings & Weekends
Affiliation: L79 PT LTCH&S;
Number of Positions Open: 2
Posting Period: 17-Nov-2021 to 01-Dec-2021
Location and Shift Information: Please note this posting will used to fill vacancies across the 10 Long-Term Care homes as they arise.
- Reviews daily menu, checks supplies, plans preparation,
and makes substitutions.
- Prepares food and ingredients to be cooked or baked by cleaning, cutting, portioning, measuring and mixing, using kitchen utensils, knives and large quantity cooking equipment such as Hobart mixers, steamers, ovens, meat slicers, vats, roasting pans etc.
- Prepares ovens and steamers, ensuring correct temperature, pressure.
- Cooks food and bakes desserts, using adjustments to standard recipes (e.g. special dietary requirements) and modifying consistency according to special needs of client groups (e.g. pureeing and mincing). Decorates desserts.
- Portions and places foods in containers for delivery by Food Services Worker.
- Prepares cold foods such as salad, sandwiches, meat/fruit trays etc.
- Labels and retains daily food samples.
- Directs Food Services Workers.
- Directs the retrieval of food supplies and the storage of leftovers.
- Monitors and orders food supplies in stockroom, rotates same.
- Performs calculations to prepare statistical reports on food usage.
- Answers telephones, take messages. Secures work area by locking doors, windows, freezers.
- Ensures food is cooked, stored and served at proper temperatures.
- Records temperatures.
- Cleans work surfaces and utensils.
- Delivers, arranges and replenishes food to service area.
Key Qualifications: Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
1. Experience working in a food services environment.
2. Experience preparing and cooking food in a long-term care or other large scale institutional setting.
3. Possess the Chef Training or Culinary Management diploma or certificate or equivalent as specified in the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007 Regulation 79/10 - or - has a diploma or certificate granted elsewhere in another jurisdiction and has a set of skills that in the opinion of the licensee is equivalent - or - certificate of qualification as a Cook issued through approved apprenticeship program as per Ontario Regulations 79/10 made under the Long-term Care Homes Act, 2007 – or – a post-secondary diploma in Food and Nutrition Management or a post-secondary degree in Food and Nutrition.
4. Current certification of the Food Handler/Safety Awareness Program offered by the local Board of Health.
You must also have:
- Knowledge of operation and care of kitchen equipment.
- Knowledge of nutrition and therapeutic diets.
- Ability to work in a group setting and be able to work collaboratively with all staff.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Ability to prepare and maintain minor statistical reports and perform basic mathematical calculations. · Ability to read and write notes, direction and/or program reports as required.
- Ability to communicate and maintain effective working relationships with staff and residents.
- Ability to perform various cleaning duties.
- Ability to operate, lift and move various equipment, supplies, and other heavy items.
- Thorough knowledge of hygiene and safe food handling techniques.
- Knowledge of Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Standards and ability to ensure compliance with these standards.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, WHMIS, the Sanitation Code and other legislation related to this work.
- Knowledge of HACCP procedures.
- Ability to work weekends, shifts, and holidays as assigned.
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of customer service, fiscal accountability, innovation, result orientation and teamwork.
- Ability and willingness to provide a service that enhances the dignity and reflects the diversity of residents.
- Ability to support the Toronto Public Service values to ensure a culture that champions equity, diversity and respectful workplaces.
Please note: As a condition of employment with the Seniors Services & Long-Term Care Homes, selected candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory Police Reference Check (PRC) with vulnerable sector screening, tuberculosis screening and proof of immunization in accordance with the Long-Term Care Homes Act (O.Reg.79/10).
Note: All City of Toronto employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with the City's Mandatory Vaccination Policy.
NOTE TO INTERNAL FULL-TIME AND PART-TIME CITY OF TORONTO EMPLOYEES:
City of Toronto employees must apply to full-time or part-time employment opportunities posted on the City's Internal Job Posting Portal.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Great opportunity to work in a growing organization! Grow your career in food industry and gain excellent work experience as you do. We're looking for energetic and passionate prep cook who's looking [...]
Dalstrong is a place for people who want to create, collaborate, and contribute to the growth of a rapidly growing premium international culinary brand that is projected to grow 30% year over year. If [...]
Location: Bar Centrale di Terroni Bar Centrale, Terroni’s mid-town wine bar located just south of Summerhill Station, is seeking an experienced Line Cooks to join its team. Position: LINE CO [...]
Queen Margherita Pizza started like every great recipe: with passion. A passion for Neapolitan pizza and dishes made with only the best, ethically sourced ingredients. From Italy and our own backyard. [...]