Improve lives. Love your job. Grow your career.
At LifeLabs, we are focused on our vision of building a healthier Canada! We are the largest community diagnostics laboratory in Canada with over 382 collection centres, 16 laboratories and service over 20 million patients each year.
Caring, Agile, Customer Driven, One Team - We live our values every day in what we do to help our patients and healthcare providers. With over 6,000 employees, we all make a difference and that’s why our people are so important to us.
This is an exciting time to join our LifeLabs team, grow your career with us and support numerous business initiatives, innovations,
best practice and business development opportunities. LifeLabs is currently looking for a Laboratory Assistant to join our team in the Cowichan Valley (Ladysmith, Duncan, Lake Cowichan and Mill Bay), BC.
As a Laboratory Assistant you will be responsible for the specimen collection process, from greeting patients through to preparation of specimens for transportation. This is an important role in patient care and our business, and will let you see the difference that you make in patients’ lives.
This is a Part Time Regular Float role suitable for an individual with a flexible schedule, and includes the opportunity to pick up additional shifts at other LifeLabs locations. The successful candidate will be working a minimum of 20 hours up to 37.5 hours/week at various LifeLabs locations in the Cowichan Valley, BC region.
In this role you will:
- Greet and request required information from patients, explain the specimen collection process, and ensure patients have followed necessary test protocol prior to specimen collection.
- Perform phlebotomies, connect/disconnect holter monitors, 24 hour blood pressure monitoring, and perform ECG tracings.
- Perform special test collections, such as medical/legal drug screens, paternity tests, and clinical trials, and complete related documentation.
- Maintain client relationships, including responding to inquiries and following up on requests.
- Complete data entry of required patient demographics, requisition information, and other information related to processing test results.
- Prepare specimens for transportation and testing.
The right person for this role will be focused on great customer/patient service, and be able to relate to patients and clients even in stressful situations. Some key qualities include: empathy, flexibility, adaptability to change, and problem solving skills. Other requirements include:
- Completion of a recognized Medical Laboratory Assistant program or equivalent related experience such as working as a healthcare professional with previous training or experience in phlebotomy, intravenous infusion and/or intravenous therapy (e.g. nurses, infusion therapist, cardiac technologist etc.).
- ECG training or experience is an asset.
- Proficient data entry skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain the strictest standards of patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Ability to effectively relate to patients and health care providers.
Ready to make a difference? Apply today!
As a caring and customer driven organization, LifeLabs is committed to providing inclusive, barrier free services and workplaces. We will accommodate the accessibility needs of individuals with disabilities during the recruitment process. Should you require accommodation, please advise the Recruiter who contacts you and we will work with you to meet your needs.
LifeLabs has operated in Canada for more than 50 years. It is a leading provider of laboratory testing and management services, contributing to the treatment and prevention of disease by enabling healthcare providers to operate more efficiently and effectively. LifeLabs provides more than 100 million diagnostic tests for approximately 19 million patients visits annually. Information from these tests plays a vital role in predicting, diagnosing, treating and monitoring disease. LifeLabs operates the largest community medical laboratory network in Canada, together with our hospital and healthcare partners. LifeLabs also partners with healthcare providers to build a healthier Canada by transforming and managing laboratory organizations to better meet the complex healthcare challenges of today and tomorrow.
Job Segment: Medical Technologist, Medical, Laboratory, Business Development, Part Time, Healthcare, Science, Sales
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Soutenir une vision éducative compatible avec les objectifs de l’enseignement francophone en milieu minoritaire et contribuer à la vitalité de la communauté francophone en favorisant la construc [...]
Overview: The person who greets and helps customers in a local 7-Eleven is the most important person in the 7-Eleven corporation. Bar none. You are the face of our company. You are 7-Eleven to our c [...]
Job Description: In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Vancouver Island Health Authority patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone [...]
Job Description: In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority, patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by eve [...]