Family Services of Greater Vancouver
JOB OPPORTUNITY: Safehouse Youth Worker
Download PDF Job Posting here
Directions Youth Safehouse Competition #80-21
ABOUT DIRECTIONS YOUTH SERVICES
Directions believes in the resiliency of Vancouver’s youth who are at-risk, homeless, and street-involved. For many youths, home is not a place of safety or belonging. We strive to create spaces and build connections with youth who are facing challenges of street life, substance use, mental health concerns, and disconnection from their communities. Directions is committed to being a community leader in harm reduction work and fostering low-barrier spaces where all youth are welcome.
Directions Youth Services provides 24/7 support to assist youth under the age of 25 to connect with supports, get counselling for trauma, mental health or substance issues, and transition to more permanent housing. Directions runs 12+ programs inclusive of shelter and drop-in, safe houses, detox and other unique programs for youth throughout Vancouver and employs more than 220 passionate, team members.
Directions is a division of Family Services of Greater Vancouver (FSGV), which for more than 90 years has provided a variety of essential resources for children, families and individuals in the Greater Vancouver community.
This is a 40 hours per week position that reports to the Team Leader. This position is located at our undisclosed Youth Safehouse location which is a voluntary residential program for at-risk youth aged 16 – 18 years of all genders, who need a safe place to stay. The program accepts intakes 24/7, providing immediate support for basic needs, connections to longer term services, youth-led goal achievement and service planning in a supportive, welcoming, low barrier environment. Staff work collaboratively with a shift partner to provide responsive care for the youth and the resource.
Hours of work: 3:30pm-11:30pm Monday - Friday
- Create rapport and trusting, non-judgmental relationships with youth in Safehouse.
- Support and monitor individual service plan for youth in collaboration with the youth, connected resources and colleagues.
- Maintain professional, positive relationships with partners including VCH, MCFD and service providers.
- Maintain accurate logs, record keeping, and data entry related to youth files and statistics.
- Maintain facility upkeep including cleaning, laundry, inventory and restocking of supplies.
- Responsible for keeping youth files and ensuring information is accurate, current and clear.
- Responsible for maintaining knowledge of current best practices and available resources.
- Ensure clear and concise communication and information transfer to colleagues and management including shift change.
- Train and supervise program volunteers in collaboration with the Program Manager.
- Monitor petty cash float and maintain accurate financial records.
- Attend and actively participate in staff meetings, supervision sessions and performance evaluation process.
- Adhere to all program and agency policies and procedures.
Education and training:
- Completion or in pursuit of Social Work, Child and Youth Care, Psychology or other related degrees/diploma and/or four years of related experience.
- Current First Aid, FoodSafe Level 1 and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention certificates.
- Two years’ recent experience working with at risk youth, substance use, and/or mental health
- Experience assisting at risk youth in crisis.
- A combination or education and experience can be considered
- Knowledge of needs of high risk and/or street involved youth including harm reduction
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients
- Ability to deal effectively with conflict situations, manage aggressive behavior, and use non-violent crisis intervention and behavioral management techniques
- Ability to communicate proficiently both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently and a part of a team
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse population
- Basic computer literacy
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
WHAT WE OFFER YOU
Directions Youth Services offers purposeful careers, serving the most vulnerable members of our community. This role offers you the opportunity to make a positive impact in our community.
We support career development and training for staff to reach their potential and offer mentorship and professional advancement in a supportive environment. We recognize the importance of work-life balance, wellness and a safe, inclusive and welcoming workplace that values diversity and respect for all.
HOW TO APPLY
If this describes you, please submit your application to us through our website.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Thank you for your interest.
FSGV is committed to the principles of diversity. We encourage applications from qualified people of all genders expressions and identities, sexual orientations, visible minorities, Indigenous persons and persons with disabilities.
Salary/Pay Grade: 8, Step 1 $1,965.60 gross bi-weekly with competitive benefits & pension
Start Date: ASAP
Closing Date: Once filled
If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email your resume and cover letter (indicating the competition number #80-21 in email subject line) outlining your interest and relevant experience to your contact information to [email protected] for follow-up.
**if you are an internal candidate, please indicate “Internal Candidate” in the Comments section at the bottom of the online application**
Job Type: Full-time
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Job Description The Advisor, RES, Graduation is responsible for service-oriented advising, instructions and guidance to prospective and current students, internal staff, or external parties in regi [...]
Job Description Job Title: Registered Nurse (RN) Med/Surg - ThoracicWork Site: Thoracic Respiratory Unit, Vancouver General HospitalStatus: Regular Full Time Start Date: As soon as possibleSalary: [...]
Job Description Job Title: Project Manager IWork Site: Lions Gate Hospital - NS Status: Start Date: Hours: Temporary Part Time (0.6 FTE) October 2021 to approximately December 2021 0830-163 [...]
What is the opportunity? Your natural flair for sales and resolving intricate business challenges is what sets you apart from the crowd. This role is all about professional relationship management an [...]