BMO Financial Group
100 King Street West
Job Family Group:
Audit, Risk & Compliance
Develops and maintains an effective internal control framework that defines the ways and methods governance is implemented, managed, and monitored in the designated business/group portfolio. The governance framework includes policies, guidelines and provides programs, practices and measures to promote transparency, accuracy, consistency across groups. Applies specialized knowledge of risk management, regulatory compliance and internal controls related to business processes and information.
- Acts as a trusted advisor to assigned business/group.
- Influences and negotiates to achieve business objectives.
- Guides/assists in the identification and classification of issues; recommends action plans.
- Recommends and implements solutions based on analysis of issues and implications for the business.
- Assists in the development of strategic plans.
- Identifies emerging issues and trends to inform decision-making.
- Researches existing or emerging requirements & related best practices to assist and develops recommendations for changes/enhancements.
- Helps determine business priorities and best sequence for execution of business/group strategy.
- Conducts independent analysis and assessment to resolve strategic issues.
- Leads the development and maintenance of the internal controls governance system and framework.
- Ensures alignment between stakeholders.
- Represents the internal control governance program/structure during internal/external regulatory audits and/or examinations.
- Coordinates the management of databases; ensures alignment and integration of data in adherence with data governance standards.
- Builds change management plans of varying scope and type; leads or participates in a variety of change management activities including readiness assessments, planning, stakeholder management, execution, evaluation and sustainment of initiatives.
- Leads or participates in defining the communication plan designed to positively influence or change behaviour; develops tailored messaging; and identifies appropriate distribution channels.
- Leads and integrates the monitoring, measurement & reporting on the status of the internal controls governance framework/program to internal & external stakeholders.
- Leads the management of governance meetings and maintenance of governing body mandates, oversight and approval guidelines.
- May provide specialized support for other internal and external regulatory requirements.
- Provides input into the planning and implementation of ongoing operational programs in support of the model validation/risk framework.
- Leads/participates in the design, implementation and management of core business/group processes.
- Develops governance and control-related solutions and makes recommendations based on an understanding of the business strategy and stakeholder needs.
- Provides advice and guidance to assigned business/group on the implementation of the control framework, including effective challenge.
- Performs testing on design of controls as required e.g. observation, inspection, replication, recalculation to ensure risks are identified and controls are effective.
- Reviews processes and identifies opportunities for risk mitigation through proposing new controls or revising existing controls.
- Identifies where corrective actions are required and escalates per guidelines; ensures corrective action is taken as necessary.
- Coordinates and participates in the execution of oversight/governance activities including reporting; assessment of education & training needs, development/delivery of training; development and execution of regulatory administration processes & procedures; management of review/updates to policies, etc.
- Consults with stakeholders to improve consistency and transparency of control measurement/metrics and reporting.
- Assists with the interpretation of new or changing regulations and assessing impacts to the governance frameworks.
- Develops and maintains in-depth knowledge of business and related risk management requirements and legislative/regulatory directives and guidance.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
- Ensures alignment between stakeholders.
- Analyzes data and information to provide insights and recommendations.
- Documents the internal control governance system, processes and framework to describe compliance requirements, activities, processes, roles & responsibilities.
- Develops tools, checklists and communications to address gaps, issues and new requirements.
- Monitors and tracks performance; addresses any issues.
- Focus is primarily on business/group within BMO; may have broader, enterprise-wide focus.
- Provides specialized consulting, analytical and technical support.
- Exercises judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems within given rules.
- Works independently and regularly handles non-routine situations.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically between 5 - 7 years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in risk management, audit, compliance, governance and/or project management is preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of business and regulatory environment.
- In-depth knowledge & experience with risk policy frameworks; quality control/testing frameworks. e.g. SOX 404, COBIT and COSO frameworks.
- Deep knowledge and technical proficiency gained through extensive education and business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills - In-depth.
- Collaboration & team skills - In-depth.
- Analytical and problem solving skills - In-depth.
- Influence skills - In-depth.
- Data driven decision making - In-depth.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://jobs.bmo.com/ca/en.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Company description Canada Art Sport and Music Association (CASMA) is a place where we strive to build athletes, artists and leaders of tomorrow. CASMA offers year-round programming for boys and girl [...]
GMs - Managers Kettleman’s Bagel Co.is a unique, quick-serve restaurant taking Bagels to the next level. Are you a Manager in the Hospitality industry that likes to have fun, work hard and be re [...]
ABOUT US CI Global Asset Management is one of the country’s largest investment fund companies. CI is known for its innovation and ability to adapt quickly to the changing needs of Canadian inves [...]
Are you a talented B2B marketer looking to help the world's top organisations use open source to accelerate their businesses? What is Canonical? Canonical helps enterprises and governments lowe [...]