Nova Scotia Health Authority
Requisition ID: 113519
Opportunity Type: Temporary
Estimated Annual Salary: 50,000-100,000
Type of Remuneration: Other
About This Opportunity
NS Health’s Mental Health and Addictions Program (MHAP) is one component of the broader mental health and addictions system of care and support. The system includes MHAP, the broader NSH team, the IWK Health Centre, the Department of Health and Wellness, Community Services, Education, Justice, law enforcement, municipalities, and a variety of community organizations and agencies. MHAP’s role in that system is to enable people experiencing mental disorders, including addictions, to manage their conditions and work towards recovery by:
- Providing specialized evidence informed treatment and care to address the needs of people (children, youth, adults) experiencing moderate to severe mental disorders including addiction, that interfere with their functioning
- Working with partners to deliver crisis supports and services to people in need of emergency care
- Supporting Primary Health Care and other providers to enable people experiencing mild to moderate symptoms to manage their conditions and reduce functional impairment
- Contributing to mental health promotion and early intervention.
- Fostering efforts to strengthen the Mental Health and Addiction system by working with people and their families, community organizations, other programs of care, and government.
MHAP services are delivered across the province:
- In person in regional, and tertiary facilities in rural and urban communities, homes, schools, and community settings
- Virtually/ On-line via Virtual Mental Health Care and E-mental Health Services
Accountable to MHAP Senior Medical Director in collaboration with MHAP’s Senior Director and MHA Program Leadership Team, the Physician Lead: Addictions Medicine (PLAM) provides leadership related to province-wide planning, implementation of strategic priorities and evaluation of Mental Health and Addictions within Nova Scotia Health. The MHAP PLAM will also provide leadership in communicating with other physician leaders within NSHA/IWK and with physicians working within primary healthcare as well as emergency services to support collaboration and alignment. The position supports the clinical, academic and research mandates of the Nova Scotia Health Authority. In collaboration with the Department of Health and Wellness and other relevant government departments, the PLAM provides leadership in the design and implementation of a provincial integrated Mental Health and Addictions program of care and in the development and execution of strategic and operational plans that support excellence in care delivery, improvement in health outcomes, and achievement of evidence-based standards of care.
The PLAM is a champion for the use of continuous quality improvement as the vehicle to advance a vision of excellence within MHA. He/she facilitates and champions a learning and research environment that aligns with the current and proposed future state of Nova Scotia Health. Deliverables include:
- Establishing and chairing regular meetings with physicians, NPs and other clinical team members providing treatment for substance use disorders with MHAO NS Health (and involves relevant physicians from IWK as appropriate)
- Participating in the MHA Program Leadership Team meetings and advises on matters related to addictions medicine
- Providing content expertise to facilitate knowledge exchange and the adoption of best practices by physicians, NPs, and other clinical team members providing treatment for substance use disorders with MHA
- Building consensus on the development, monitoring and evaluation of clinical practice standards with physicians, NPs and other clinical teams providing treatment for substance use disorders within MHA
- Working to facilitate the resolution of contentious issues that may arise among practitioners of addictions medicine within MHA
- Focusing in on specific areas as determined by the strategic priorities of the Program Leadership Team as a whole or the Senior co-leads for MHAP in consultation with the PLAM.
Physician currently working in Mental Health and Addictions Program within Nova Scotia Health, with active staff privileges with the NSHA pursuant to the Medical Staff By-laws
- In good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia
- Certification in addiction medicine either through the International Society of Addiction medicine, the American Board of Addiction Medicine or a Certificate of Added Competence in Addiction Medicine
To be Determined (Commensurate with experience)
Please submit your expression of interest with current CV and cover letter outlining your experience in relation to the accountabilities for the position to [email protected]
Please contact Samantha Hodder, Senior Director, Mental Health and Addictions Program and Dr. Andrew Harris, Senior Medical Director, Mental Health and Addictions Program, should you wish to discuss the role or the submission of an Expression of Interest.
Interested and qualified applicants will participate in a selection process to ensure fit, knowledge and skill match.
Physicians in Nova Scotia provide fulfilling patient care which embraces family life, professional development and community involvement. That's what makes practicing medicine in Nova Scotia unique. Physicians are increasingly attracted to practices that offer team-based care to their patients and allow them to consult with their peers. The size and scale of Nova Scotia allows for better connections across the health care system. Your practice of medicine and your life is richer here. Nova Scotia is more than medicine.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and tech [...]
Click here to apply as an internal applicant. Req ID: 116347 Location: Central Zone, Halifax Infirmary Robie Street Entrance - QEII Company: NSHA Department: DI Interventional Imaging VG [...]
What is the opportunity? US Regulatory Services is responsible for ensuring timely, accurate, and complete reporting to various exchanges, self-regulatory organizations and the SEC. The individual in [...]
Click here to apply as an internal applicant. Req ID: 116551 Location: Central Zone, Halifax Infirmary Robie Street Entrance - QEII Company: NSHA Department: FMS Maintenance Facilities HI [...]