Do you want to make a difference?
Join the world’s largest humanitarian network. The Canadian Red Cross Society, a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping the most vulnerable in Canada and throughout the world, is currently seeking a Director - Internal Communications.
Reporting to the Chief Communications Officer and working closely with other senior executives, the Director of Internal Communications will develop and execute an internal communications strategy, evaluate and strengthen internal communications channels and establish organizational messages that keep internal stakeholders informed and engaged in support of Canadian Red Cross strategic and operational goals.
About the Canadian Red Cross (CRC): http://www.redcross.ca
You will be working on things like:
Communications Strategy, Planning and Execution
- Develops and executes a robust internal communications plan to support our strategic direction & priorities to meet organizational objectives, reflects CRC’s strategy and values and aligns with the Society’s broader communications strategy.
- Supports the Chief Communications Officer in effectively managing executive-level messaging and information important to staff and volunteers.
- Adapts strategies, messages and tools for internal audiences in times of domestic and international emergency response, to help staff and volunteers carry out their duties in support of the Red Cross mission.
- Identifies and implements means to evaluate the ongoing relevance and effectiveness of the strategy and adjusts tactics and messaging accordingly.
- Collaborates with communications colleagues and other partners (e.g., leaders, People Services) to ensure the strategy and messaging are consistent with the broader communications plan and that resources (people, tools and systems) are used effectively.
- Ensures internal communication messages are consistent with external messages and, where possible, guides the sharing of messages internally first.
- Identifies potential reputational risks or opportunities for CRC to act upon, particularly as they relate to internal audiences.
- Provides consultation to departments and geographical regions on initiatives related to internal communications.
- Oversees production of national communications products and publications (e.g. brochures, guides, presentations, videos, speeches).
- Writes and edits national communications materials as required.
- Manages staff (and possibly volunteers) who support the internal communications function.
We are looking for somebody with:
- The minimum qualifications for this position are a university degree in communications, journalism or public relations with seven years of job-related experience.
- Experience in strategic internal communications, issues management and measurement.
- Experience adapting effectively to change in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience providing strategic communications advice to senior leaders.
- Experience delivering communication services and messaging to achieve change in a complex environment.
- Working with volunteers and employees in a matrix reporting environment.
- First Aid certification, or willingness to certify.
- English and French is preferred.
Skills & Abilities:
- Passionate about putting people first - the role requires a committed practitioner who believes in the foundational need for excellence when communicating with internal audiences.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional presentation skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong skills of persuasion.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills to work with employees and volunteers at all levels and geographical locations of the organization.
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities.
- Proven effectiveness in both strategy development and tactical execution.
- Creative thinker who can find cost-effective ways to build internal engagement.
- A “team player” who can lead by example, with high accountability for his/her actions.
- Outstanding judgment, with a balance of confidence, maturity, professionalism and high energy.
- Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive information.
You will stand out if you have:
- Understanding of current/emerging social media channels and the relevance of these channels to stakeholder relations.
- Experience working with a national/international not-for-profit organization
What we offer
- Competitive pay and benefits package
- Employees Extended Healthcare and Dental plans
- Registered Retirement Pension Plan (RPP)
- Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP): All employees are entitled to open a RRSP account through voluntary payroll deduction the first of the month following three months of continuous employment
- Travel, accommodation, medical & insurance coverage when deploying
- Pre-deployment and recurring training programs and professional development events in Canada and abroad
- Conveniently located in the heart of the city of Ottawa with excellent access to public transportation, shopping, and restaurants.
- Street and indoor parking upon availability
- Modern and flexible working environment that promotes diversity and allows telecommuting.
- Contributes to a healthy and safe working environment.
- Office work is performed in a typical office environment and determination of office location (CRC or from home) will be based on client group needs.
- Ability to work non-traditional and longer hours often on short notice, especially during times of emergency response.
- Occasional domestic travel may be required.
The Canadian Red Cross is committed to gender equality and social inclusion in our workplace. All qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, color, religion, nationality, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We encourage all qualified persons to apply particularly Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, visible minorities, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Please notify us as soon as possible of any adaptive measures you might require at any stage of the recruitment process.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
The Director, Communications and Engagement is an experienced and dynamic professional responsible for driving strategic engagement with CRKN member and external stakeholder communities. Stakeholders [...]
Salary (Grade: 07) Hiring salary range $51,822 - $65,459 The University of Ottawa—A crossroads of cultures and ideas The University of Ottawa is home to over 50,000 students, faculty and [...]
Job ID: J0721-0646 Job Type: Temporary Assignment or Contract Duration: 24 mois / 24 months Job Category: General Administration Open Positions: 1 Faculty / Department: [...]
Calgary, AB, Canada ● Montreal, QC, Canada ● Ottawa, ON, Canada ● Toronto, ON, Canada ● Vancouver, BC, Canada Req #405 Thursday, July 15, 2021 Smart & Biggar has been at the forefront o [...]