Vancouver Coastal Health
Job Title: Clinical Counsellor - Primary Care (Master's Degree)Work Site: Vancouver Primary Care Network (PCN) - Vancouver, BCStatus: Regular Full-time Start Date:
As soon as possible
Salary: $35.65 - $44.56 per hourHours: VariousReference#: 145459-cos
Come work as a Clinical Counsellor with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Clinical Counsellor to join the Vancouver Primary Care Network (PCN) teams. Apply today to join our team!
As a Clinical Counsellor in Primary Care you will:
- Provide assessment, education and interventions resulting in improved patient well-being and self-management of medical, behavioural and psychosocial needs.
- Maintain partnership with the Primary Care Provider in accordance with the local PCN care delivery model as co-designed by the PCN Partners (local Division of Family Practice, VCH Community of Care and First Nations Partners).
- Provide short-term counselling services to primary care patients/clients at the request of the PCN Team member.
- By assessing referred patients/clients, assist patients/clients in setting goals and supporting their psychosocial spiritual needs through the delivery of individual, family and/or group counselling.
- When appropriate, be responsible for the coordination of patient/client services and/or the referral of patients/clients to internal and external supports or other health care providers.
About Primary Care Networks (PCN)
This new model of care includes a multi-disciplinary team of nurses, pharmacists and allied health professionals, working alongside and supporting family physicians, nurse practitioners at primary care offices, Primary Care Community Health Centres, Urgent and Primary Care centres, and services delivered by not-for-profit community health partners. Team members involved in the patient’s care will work closely together, so that they can get a full picture of the health care needs. PCNs are expected to provide patients and primary care providers with strong, effective links to hospitals and diagnostic service providers.
Education & Experience
- Master’s Degree in a health science discipline (such as counselling psychology, social work) from a recognized program that includes a clinical supervised practicum.
- Two (2) years’ recent related experience providing care through a holistic mental health, substance use and primary care lens or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Current full registration with applicable regulatory College or eligibility for registration with the appropriate professional body or association, as applicable
- Valid BC Drivers Licence and access to a vehicle.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in patient/client care.
- Demonstrated ability in dealing with a variety of situations and responsibilities requiring initiative, creativity and professional judgment.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of a patient/client and family centered recovery model in mental health.
- Working knowledge of DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)
- Knowledge and skills to provide care coordination to a select caseload of patients/clients.
- Demonstrated knowledge to assess patients/clients at risk and knowledge of appropriate legislation acts; e.g. Health Care Consent Act, Mental Health Act, Adult Guardianship Act, Continuing Care Act,
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act as it relates to the rights and obligations of patient/clients and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to provide competent and culturally safe care in a variety of settings and with diverse populations
- Demonstrated ability to promote Indigenous Cultural Safety.
- Demonstrated an understanding of Trauma Informed Practice, Harm Reduction and Recovery Oriented Care.
- Knowledge of the Contextual Model of Counselling Therapy and/or the Common Factors Approach that inform evidence-based counselling.
- Broad knowledge of crisis intervention and foundational counseling skills, including Motivational Interviewing
- Broad knowledge of mental health concerns and treatment.
- Broad knowledge of substance use and addictions treatment.
- Broad knowledge of other facilities and community resources.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize when referral to another health care professional is required
- Demonstrated ability to support seamless transition in care.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with patients/clients and their families, colleagues, Primary Care Providers, and other health care staff, both one-on-one and in groups.
- Demonstrated listening and information seeking skills that promotes communication and lead to a cooperative approach to problem solving within a multidisciplinary setting.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust schedule to deal with unexpected situations.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to provide consultation and leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and use critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with conflict situations.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Demonstrated computer skills including the ability to effectively use a computerized patient/client care information documentation system.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and ''going first'' when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At VCH, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff and medical staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Joins notre équipe! Indigo Parc Canada est la marque la plus réputée de l’industrie du stationnement et de la mobilité individuelle dans le monde Nous voulons révolutionner l’industrie d [...]
Join our team! Indigo Park Canada is one of the most renowned brands in the parking industry and individual mobility around the world. We want to revolutionize the parking industry and need YOU t [...]
Job Description: In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority (Island Health), patient & staff safety is a priority and a resp [...]
Job Description: We are looking for Sales Managers to grow our North American team, selling payment solutions to medium and large-scale clients. This is a sales role that encompasses prospecting, qua [...]