University of Guelph
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Business Incubator Services Manager John F. Wood Centre for Business and Student Enterprise
Temporary full-time from June 1, 2021 to May 30, 2023
Hiring #: 2021-0205
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The Business Incubator Services Manager will work as part of the John F. Wood Centre for Business and Student Enterprise (Wood Centre) team in the Lang School of Business and Economics to deliver entrepreneurial programs and services to Hub participants, and innovation training to users of the MakerSpace, serving students across campus In consultation with the Wood Centre Program Manager,
the Business Incubator Services Manager will have broad oversight and strategic development through the following responsibilities and goals:
- Design, improve, and deliver high impact innovation and entrepreneurial programming.
- Attract and retain key stakeholders to support the bold development of the Wood Centre’s programming.
- Ensuring compliance with program reporting (metrics, financial, etc.) and management approaches as appropriate.
- Identifying funding and partnership opportunities for the programs and Centre.
- Oversee the operations of the Hub Incubator Program, including:
- Oversight of programming: development of curriculum including engaging with guest speakers and third-party supports for companies;
- Recruiting potential start-up companies that are both eligible and suitable for the program;
- Completing initial analysis of each potential start-ups’ position and barriers to growth;
- Designing and agreeing a package of support provided to the start-up, including potential co-investment between the start-up and mentors/funders;
- Ensuring the portfolio of services provided to start-ups delivers the maximum impact in assisting the business to reach its full potential within the constraints of the program;
- Foster a start-up community within the program and continue to deliver value to our alumni and mentor community.
- Oversee the operations of the MakerSpace programming and in conjunction with the Program Manager, oversee physical space.
- Seek out and develop new partnerships on and off campus to strategically position the Wood Centre MakerSpace in an ecosystem of offerings;
- Foster existing relationships to offer services to our clients;
- Keep up to date on best practices with MakerSpaces or Innovation spaces to ensure the Wood Center MakerSpace is relevant and competitive.
Requirements of the position include:
- Master’s degree in business or a related field, along with several years’ related experience. An equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
- The ideal candidate will be a highly credible business expert with an excellent understanding of high growth businesses, how they work and the challenges and barriers to their growth.
- Sophisticated networking, business development, influencing and selling skills appropriate to this type of program and the ability to, and understanding of, how to match startups and mentors/coaches considering both skills, experience and personality dimensions.
- The candidate must have a strongly developed mentorship methodology.
- The incumbent must have experience with the Lean Startup methodology, be an experienced facilitator, and have excellent project management, organizational, interpersonal and communication abilities, as well as robust analytical skills.
- The ability to exercise sound judgment, tact and diplomacy, set priorities and manage budgets is also required.
This appointment is regularly performed on- campus but will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations.
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2021 05 19
Closing Date: 2021 05 26
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Master Scheduler Position Summary: Reporting to the Sales Administration Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for scheduling all Skyjack production lines including detailed config [...]
Coordinator, Sales Administration The Coordinator, Sales Administration is responsible for supporting the Sales Admin team and coordinate with cross functional departments to meet customer requests. [...]
Gauge Technician The Gauge Technician position, under general supervision, is responsible for calibrating, testing, setting up, and repairing various controls, instruments, and gauges measuring all [...]
Seize the opportunity to join a global fashion retailer with two brands at the heart of its success, Garage and Dynamite, selected as one of Montreal's Top Employers 2020 and as one of Canada’s Top [...]