The Scarborough Hospital
Job Number: J0221-1300
Job Title: Quality and Patient Safety Leader
Department: Patient Safety
Job Category: Quality, Safety & Patient Experience
Hospital Location: Centenary/General/Birchmount
Job Type: Full Time
Number Of Positions: 1
Union: Non Union
Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east.
We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
Reporting to the Manager, Patient Safety, the Quality and Patient Safety Leader will be responsible for the design and implementation of key patient safety initiatives across our three sites at Scarborough Health Network (SHN). The Quality and Patient Safety Leader will work with all units and departments, including front-line staff, managers and directors, and provide assistance and input to the Senior Leadership Team and the Board of Directors as requested.
The successful candidate will collaborate with all levels to foster an environment of minimizing risk and maximizing patient safety and quality care across the organization, to ensure continued organization-wide success. In addition, collaborate with key stakeholders to develop and implement key High Reliability Organization (HRO) tactics and initiatives.
• Build awareness and capacity with all staff, including clinical and non-clinical, midwives, physicians and volunteers on patient safety
• Work collaboratively with teams and leaders to develop patient safety strategies to patient safety issues, address risks, and mitigate injury/harm to patients
• Assist with the planning, design and execution of Patient Safety Week activities in collaboration with others
• Support the orientation of new staff on quality and patient safety
• Design, develop and deliver content for e-learning modules for patient safety education/core curriculum
• Contribute to professional rounds, e.g. medical/surgical rounds (arrange speakers relevant to topic)
• Provide education, facilitate group discussions and build capacity for physicians and clinical staff to reach desired outcomes and enhance their understanding of Quality Improvement initiatives within the healthcare system as it relates to their department or portfolio
• Collaborate with programs and other corporate support areas such as Enterprise Analytics, Strategy and Transformation, Risk Management, Professional Practice etc.
• Proactively identify quality, patient safety and patient experience opportunities through data trending and analysis
• Develop patient safety toolkit and lead training
• Provide input to content of annual Quality Improvement Plan, support the Accreditation process and corporate indicators
• Routine review, analysis of patient incidents (as related to activities listed above)
• Monitor and communicate detailed feedback on quality improvement outcomes in collaboration with program leaders, medical directors and various internal and external stakeholders
• Identify and provide recommendations and solutions to executives on process improvement initiatives
• Develop policies and procedures and reports pertaining to Quality and Safety
• Identify trends and implement changes based on metrics
• Collaborate with key stakeholders to develop and implement key High Reliability Organization (HRO) tactics and initiatives
• Plan, develop, implement and monitor the Patient Safety Program across SHN.
• Support and deliver in the preparation of data collection and analysis, and prepare regular and timely reports related to Quality and safety indicators as required
• Minimum (5) years experience in a healthcare setting
• Minimum (1) year experience in patient safety, risk management, incident investigation and analysis, and project management
• Must have an undergraduate degree in a health related discipline from a recognized institution
• Must be a regulated health professional with certification or experience in a health care discipline/healthcare setting
• Must have certification in Patient Safety Trainer, Critical Incident Analysis and Patient Safety from an applicable program, e.g. Ontario Health Association or Canadian Patient Safety Institute
• Advanced computer knowledge and skills in applications such as, but not limited to, Microsoft Office 2016 (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Access) and Adobe Acrobat, Visio and Project and RL6 solutions
• Excellent use of healthcare-related e-software (e.g. incident reporting system, medical records)
• Experience and knowledge with Patient Safety and Quality projects or initiatives, electronic clinical incident management systems, performance measurement, data reporting analysis, quality improvement principles and Quality of Care Reviews
• Proficient knowledge of legislation and regulatory environment applicable to hospitals/healthcare, including Excellent Care for All Act, Quality of Care Information Protection Act and Privacy Act
• Superior knowledge of patient quality and safety principles
• Outstanding knowledge of inpatient quality and safety, including experience working with risk/patient safety related tools, practices, methodologies and frameworks
• Highly organized multitasker and detail-oriented professional with ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines in a fast-paced and unpredictable environment
• Strong critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to proficiently interpret clinical documentation
• Demonstrates excellent effective objective interpersonal and communication skills along with investigative, teaching and facilitation skills
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and take initiative, and travel to any SHN hospital as needed
• Demonstrates a commitment to customer service when dealing with patients, colleagues and volunteers and other members of the community and public
• Demonstrates values consistent with SHN′s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation
• Demonstrates an understanding of and commitment to SHN's comprehensive safety programs and practices including staff safety, patient safety, and environmental safety and participates in regular in-service education in this area
• Demonstrates excellent work performance and attendance record
• Master′s degree in a health related discipline
• Experience as a system and incident management administrator
• Experience maintaining and updating policies, procedures and standard work documents
• Lean methodology training and monitoring QI initiatives
• Knowledge of High Reliability Organization (HRO) tactics and initiatives
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Job Number: J0521-0734 Job Title: Student Financial Services Financial Literacy Coordinator (Temporary Part-time) Job Type: Temp PT, Support Bargaining Unit: Non-bargaining School/Depa [...]
Job Description Are You Ready to Make It Happen at Mondelēz International? Join our Mission to Lead the Future of Snacking. Make It With Pride. You independently operate and maintain at least o [...]
Extra Staffing is looking for Production workers for different shifts in the town of Markham and Overhead Indoor crane operator for afternoon shift in Scarborough must be certified, this is a full tim [...]
Job Number: J0521-0710 Job Title: Communications Assistant, headSTART Program (Regular Part-time) Job Type: Permanent PT Support (Regular) Bargaining Unit: PT Support School/Department [...]