Managing Editor, Digital
Regina, SK, Canada Saskatoon, SK, Canada Winnipeg, MB, Canada Req #985
Thursday, April 29, 2021
Are you creative, dynamic and passionate? Do you like to think outside of the box and find new ways to achieve your goals? Corus Entertainment has an exciting opportunity for you. If you have a passion for excellence, and would like to work for Corus Entertainment, we encourage you to apply.
About the Role
Working closely with the News leadership teams in Regina, Winnipeg and Saskatoon, this position reports into the Editor in Chief, News Digital based in Toronto. Some travel between stations will be required as part of this position. This role may be based out of Regina, Winnipeg, or Saskatoon.
The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
- Lead a team of online journalists, online video producers, digital journalists, and digital content coordinators in Regina, Winnipeg and Saskatoon
- Manage the daily editorial assignment, production, and promotion of compelling written and video content for globalnews.ca in Regina, Winnipeg, and Saskatoon
- Communicate, teach, track and model Global News’ best practices in digital journalism
- Champion online coverage at meetings and throughout the day to ensure digital platforms are prioritized. Respond to top-performing content to help inform editorial decisions for all publishing platforms.
- Develop and execute strategies to grow and engage our audience on globalnews.ca and social media. Monitor real-time site performance and work with online staff to optimize content.
- Work with managing editors, news directors and others to implement a flexible workflow that supports multi-platform content production
- Work with managing editors and administrative support staff to schedule online resources, ensuring region-wide coverage seven days a week
- Maintain regular contact with fellow Global News digital leaders and communicate key changes and improvements to staff and managers
- Participate in planning of special news, community and marketing events and projects. Support marketing with online and social efforts as required.
- Ensure all online stories are vetted for content, grammar and style. Work with radio and television leaders to improve overall writing skills of everyone filing online
- Ensure all local, wire, and viral content is posted and promoted in a timely fashion
- Oversee access to official accounts on social networks. Ensure content is promoted optimally.
- Oversee audience relations on social media. Resolve and respond to website user complaints and feedback
- Support advertising and sponsorship efforts related to monetization of online content
- Manage operational requirements pertaining to performance, labour relations, scheduling and timesheets, including strict adherence to the Global News Journalistic Principles and Practices
- Other duties as required
What We Need From You:
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Degree or diploma in journalism, communications or a related field from a recognized institution
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a major market newsroom environment
- Proven track record in developing engaging online editorial content
- Comprehensive understanding and extensive experience with WordPress and social media including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram
- Demonstrated experience managing, supervising or leading a team is required
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently, effectively, and cooperatively to tight deadlines in a complex team environment
- Possess excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to make independent decisions in pressure situations
- An amazing attitude that will engage and motivate teams by living into the Corus values to Win Together, Make it Happen, Learn Every Day, Think Beyond and Show We Care
- A valid driver’s license
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you'll feel it. You'll see it in action.
You'll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You'll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You'll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day - Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique - and amazing - place to work.
At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
- No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Job Family
- Job Function
02-Media/Communications Creative & Design
- Pay Type
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Specific Skills - Bathe, dress and groom patients Security and Safety - Criminal record check - Adult Abuse Registry Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities - Attention to detail - Co [...]
Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.) - First Aid Certificate - CPR Certificate - Driver's License (Class 3 or D) - Class 1/1F/A Licence (semi trailer trucks) - C [...]
Inventory Clerk About SI Alarms: Located in Winnipeg, we have a highly technical staff able to adapt to changes in technology easily. Our strong understanding of our customers' needs allow us to [...]
- or equivalent experience Equipment and Machinery Experience - Universal grinders - Milling machines - Engine lathes - Cylindrical grinders - Computer numerical control (CNC) machines - [...]