Government of Alberta.
Job Requisition ID: 9288
Ministry: Jobs, Economy, and Innovation
Full or Part-Time: Full Time
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Scope: Open Competition
Closing Date: May 5, 2021
Classification: Finance 3
At the Ministry of Jobs, Economy and Innovation, we are focused on attracting investment to the province, building international partnerships, helping Alberta companies access international markets, and promoting our province as a world-class tourism destination.
We are connecting Alberta’s innovators with the right partners to help them bring new technologies and working with partners across the province to encourage economic growth, support the success of Alberta entrepreneurs and job creators, and promote the development of Alberta’s primary and emerging sectors, including tourism.
To find out more about our work visit
The Financial Reporting Analyst reports to the Manager of Financial Reporting.
The position ensures that the ministry meets its financial reporting requirements by providing advice and recommendations on financial issues, policies and procedures in achieving the ministry's business plan's goals and objectives.
The Financial Reporting Analyst is expected to work with staff as well as stakeholders within and outside of the Ministry. The incumbent must be able to balance a client - focus with risk mitigation strategies and the needs of the Ministry.
- The Financial Reporting analyst will assist in the following:
- Ensuring the accurate and timely preparation of financial reporting obligations for the department and entities, including quarterly fiscal update reports and year-end financial statements.
- Assisting in the preparation of the ministry's annual financial statements including notes and schedules.
- Compiling and analyzing financial reports providing advice on financial reporting issues, evaluation internal controls and developing risk mitigation strategies.
- Utilize the extensive knowledge of various accounting regulations, and working experience with SAP (1GX), MS Excel and other software.
If this opportunity interests you, do not hesitate to apply!
Preferred education: Degree in Business Administration or Commerce complemented by a professional accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA, or CPA).
Minimum of 3 years progressively responsible related experience is required; or equivalent as described below.
- Related experience or education may be considered as an equivalency on a one for one basis.
- Experience in an accounting environment – financial reporting and operations.
- Experience preparing quarterly financial statements and Annual financial statements including working papers.
- Strong analytical skills – variance analysis, ability to identify issues and relationships between financial reporting control weaknesses.
- Extensive understanding and working knowledge of: Financial Administration Act, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB), Generally Accepted Audited Standards (GAAS), GoA financial systems, directives, policies, procedures and controls, internal and external control standards and contract and grant administrations
- Experience and understanding of Investment accounting is preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of SAP (1GX) and the various reporting tools
- Strong understanding of computer applications such as MS excel and word
Competencies are behaviours that are essential to reach our goals in serving Albertans. We encourage you to have an in depth understanding of the competencies that are required for this opportunity and to be prepared to demonstrate them during the recruitment process.
Below are the critical competencies that the successful incumbent would possess in this role:
- CREATIVE PROBLEM SOLVING - ask questions to get a deeper understanding of issues, engage different perspectives, break problems down into manageable components, constructively challenge the way things have always been done, and create strategic solutions for challenges.
- DRIVE FOR RESULTS – set and accomplish goals and priorities, factor in complexity of issues and align plans based on government direction, remove barriers to collaboration, provide informed advice.
- DEVELOP NETWORKS AND BUILD COLLABORATIVE ENVIRONMENTS – seek to understand the perspectives and needs of internal and external clients, build catalytic relationships, following through on commitments, influence.
- SYSTEMS THINKING – Understanding that the work you do within the APS is part of a larger inter-connected environment, and impacts others, such as clients, other ministries or community stakeholders.
- AGILITY – ability to anticipate, assess and readily adapt to changing situations and issues, remain objective under pressure by making well-thought through decisions when there are competing and ambiguous priorities, challenge conventional thinking and ways of practice, champion a plan of action, quickly read a situation and gain an understanding of individual and environmental drivers.
$2,613.91 to $3,428.61 bi-weekly
This is a 36.25 hours per week role.
This competition may be used to fill current and future vacancies across the Government of Alberta, at the same or lower classification level.
How To Apply
If you are unable to apply online, please contact:
Applicants are advised to provide information that clearly and concisely demonstrates how their qualifications meet the advertised requirements.
It is recommended that applicants who have obtained educational credentials from outside of Canada and have not had them previously assessed, obtain an evaluation of their credentials from the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
It is recommended that applicants include the assessment certificate from IQAS or any other educational assessment service as part of their application.
Tips for Applicants:
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates' qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you require any further information on this job posting, please contact Jane McEwen, TAS Administrator at [email protected] If this competition is closed as per the closing date noted above, please continue to check
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
HSBC is following Canadian government guidelines to stop the spread of COVID-19. We are keeping our customers, employees and job applicants safe through enhanced safety protocols undertaken at our bra [...]
Job Number : 40944 Are you interested in providing oversight and participating in the work of the grants unit within the Community Resources section? If so, read on! As the Community Grants Te [...]
Community Grants Team Lead Job Number : 40944 Are you interested in providing oversight and participating in the work of the grants unit within the Community Resources section? If so, read on! As [...]
Rotaflow is Western Canada’s premier full-service Engineering, Procurement, Construction and Management (EPCM) firm based in Edmonton. For over 25 years we have worked with the world’s leading ene [...]