Canadian National Railway
At CN, everyday brings new and exciting challenges. You can expect an interesting environment where you’re part of making sure our business is running optimally and safely―helping keep the economy on track. We provide the kind of paid training and opportunities that long-term careers are built on and we recognize hard workers who strive to make a difference. You will be able to thrive in our close-knit, safety-focused culture working together as ONE TEAM. The careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
Assistant Track Supervisors are responsible for track inspection and repairs as well as replacing rails, ties, switches and ballasts in their assigned territory.
Previous work experience away from home is an asset; the willingness to relocate post-program (and beyond) to any location within Eastern Canada (QC, NB, NS) is an absolute must. We have a solid relocation policy to assist our employees through the relocation process.
Critical performance areas include the following but may vary depending on location and circumstances:
- Manage transportation operations, including compliance with safe work procedures and practices as well as deliver a high level of productivity and customer service.
- Lead people with clear direction and goals and provide coaching and guidance to employees through regular monitoring of employee performance.
- Apply collective agreement(s) and company policies when carrying out their duties, including managing and coaching employees, conducting investigations, recommending corrective action, and responding to grievances.
- Manage budgets and workforce productivity within CN policy and its Five Guiding Principles.
- Irregular hours, including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Combination of office work and working outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions.
- May be relocated if necessary.
- Meet deadlines, interface with senior management.
- Travel for company business, at times without advance notice.
- Respond to unexpected or emergency situations.
Successful candidates will participate in an intense, several months training program during which we will teach them how to inspect track and instruct them on all technical aspects of the role. We have designed a program incorporating classroom training coupled with hands-on field training. Our theoretical training may take place away from home. Successful completion of the training program is mandatory in order to work as an Assistant Track Supervisor.
- Experience in supervising a unionized workforce.
- Proven track record in troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Demonstrated history/ experience in safety compliance.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Predictable, reliable attendance.
- High school diploma or equivalent General Education Diploma (GED).
- Relevant work experience in similar working conditions or regulatory/safety environment.
- Experience managing budgets.
- Labour relations experience, i.e. interpretation of collective agreements, response to grievances, negotiations with union representatives, discipline, etc.
- Training or certification in a Railroad Operating Signals
- Post-secondary education.
- Basic computer skills.
The ideal candidate profile:
- Energetic, ability to work autonomously, adapt rapidly to changing circumstances and situations and manage stressful situations.
- Collaborative and team-oriented, can motivate others to achieve set objectives and maintains positive interactions. Good leadership skills - manage, mentor, coach.
- Is results-focused, gives clear directions and prioritizes daily tasks.
- Excellent English and French verbal, reading comprehension and writing skills.
- Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and client satisfaction.
- Understand and apply safety standards, policies and procedures, collective agreements as well as Operating Rules.
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada’s Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the U.S. through a 19,500 mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Job Overview: Lot Associates are responsible for providing excellent customer service. They are the first and last point of contact with customers. Their primary responsibilities are to load orders [...]
Business Equipment and Computer Applications MS Excel MS Windows MS Word Accounting software MS Office Area of Specialization Invoices Specific Skills Answer telephone and r [...]
City of Moncton General Manager, Operations Services Location: Moncton, New Brunswick KR-14565 The City of Moncton prides itself on being a welcoming community and one of the best places [...]
or equivalent experience Language Pairs French/English Business Equipment and Computer Applications MS Excel MS Word MS Outlook Additional Skills Supervise staff Specific Sk [...]