University Health Network
Job Posting #873308
Position: Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)
Department: Complex Continuing Care
Reports To: Senior Clinical Director
Site: Toronto Rehab, E.W. Bickle Centre
Salary: $86, 783.00- $108,479.00 per annum (Commensurate with experience and consistent with UHN Compensation Policy)
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Status: Permanent Full-time
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Clinical Nurse Specialist in our Complex Continuing Care Department.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”,
encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
The Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, a leader in adult rehabilitation and complex continuing care, is Canada’s largest adult rehabilitation hospital. Bringing together innovative patient care, groundbreaking research and diverse education to help people overcome or recover from disabling injury, illness or age-related conditions Toronto Rehab is located at four sites: University Centre (550 University Ave.), Lyndhurst Hospital and Toronto Rehab’s Cardiac and Stroke Centre (Rumsey Road) and the Bickle Centre (Dunn Ave). Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
This highly-visible CNS position will play a key role in the CCC leadership team. They will be responsible for liaising with all inpatient units at Toronto Rehab-E. W. Bickle Centre on regular basis to: support clinical teams in in the care of patients with responsive behaviours related to delirium, dementia, and/or other mental health issues; ensure clinical interventions at the point of care are aligned with best practices; and, support education and academic practice, student mentorship, and research activities, as appropriate. A key function of this role will be to provide expertise in the care of behaviorally complex individuals, many of whom are elderly and have concurrent medical issues. The CNS will undertake assessments of patients referred for complex behavioural or medical issues and will be expected to support the inter-professional care team in developing appropriate care plans and clinical interventions, while providing support to patients and their significant others. In addition, the CNS will be expected to build the capacity of the interprofessional clinical team to respond to behavioral and psychological issues that arise in the CCC and Low Tolerance Long duration (LTLD) rehabilitation population. They will also be expected to consult with other specialty services such as mental health and geriatric services, as required.
The successful candidate will further have the opportunity to contribute to clinical quality improvement initiatives and participate in program development. They should be able to demonstrate understanding of, compliance with, and commitment to UHN values, patient safety, and best practices in order to ensure a safe and supportive environment for patients and staff.
- Completion of a Master’s degree in Nursing, Education or Health Administration required.
- Current Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Nurse required, and able to practice without restrictions.
- Minimum 5 years recent or related clinical experience in psychiatric and mental health nursing preferred.
- Experience in Geriatrics preferred.
- Prior experience as a CNS in a specified clinical specialty program is preferred
- Additional preparation or experience in CCC considered an asset
- CNA Certification in Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing (CPMHNC) also an asset
- Completion of a Basic Cardiac Life Support (B.C.L.S.) program
- CPI (Crisis Prevention Institute) Certified or willing to obtain
- Advanced knowledge of the interplay of mental health and physical health problems
- Advanced knowledge of psychotherapeutic modalities and behavioural interventions provided at the medical/psychiatric interface
- Knowledge of professional trends, issues, scope and standards of practice, and other relevant legislation
- Demonstrated theoretical and empirical knowledge bases and advanced level of clinical competence in working with patients with responsive behaviours
- Advanced knowledge of psychopharmacology
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills
- Previous experience in designing or facilitating teaching/educational initiatives
- Excellent interpersonal and team collaboration skills
- Demonstrated ability to act as a resource and consultant to clinicians and interdisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated self-directed, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated organizational, presentation and leadership skills
- Demonstrated commitment to safety and quality
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and ongoing professional development
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand
Application Closing Date: Until Filled
If you are interested in this position, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Hiring an attractive and open minded young woman for a long-term project. $30/hr. Office duties involved. Location is downtown. 25+ hours weekly. Full time a possibility. You need to be outgoing, frie [...]
LOOKING TEAM AZ OWNER OPERATORS FOR DRY VAN TO TX NEED MINIMUM 2 YEARS EXPEREIENCE AND AGE MUST BE OVER 25 Fuel and tolls 100% paid by company Free truck parking in the yard new truck will pay more ce [...]
• What We Offer City Driver WSIB Weekly Pay $25/hr + HST 13 Speed Manual Dedicated Truck Bunk 2008 Volvo Truck Guarantee 10hrs + / Day Dry / Reefer / Container Work • What We Offer O/O Open Board [...]
Location: Bahrain Gulf Researcher is a leading research organization in the Middle East. Based in Bahrain, we provide high-quality on-demand research tailored to our client’s needs. Gulf Researc [...]