Winnipeg Regional Health Authority
Requisition ID: 222203
Position Number: 20007769
Posting End Date: March 25, 2021
Site: Health Sciences Centre
Department / Unit: Medical Device Reprocessing 2 - HSC
Job Stream: Clinical Support
Anticipated Start Date: ASAP
Anticipated Shift: Days;Weekends
Daily Hours Worked: 7.75
Annual Base Hours: 2015
Salary: $19.095, $19.667, $20.257, $20.865, $21.491, $22.136
Grow your career in the Winnipeg Health Region! Our team provides a spectrum of health care services through an integrated network of sites, services and organizations. We’re united by a shared commitment to excellent and equitable health care.
- Reprocesses more complex specialized surgical instruments in preparation for sterilization including: disassembling, manual washing, ultrasonic washing, quality assurance checks such as functionality and cleanliness, and reassembly of complex equipment such as the computerized stereotactic neurological instruments.
- Reassembles the more complex surgical sets with the various instrumentation (e.g. spinal instrumentation). The more complex instrumentation often has specialized handling instructions and often the cost of the equipment prohibits having more than one in the facility.
- Maintains an awareness of the subtle complexities of the instruments from all of the specialties.
- Reads and interprets the slate in order to anticipate surgical requirements for surgical cases on current and future shifts.
- Utilizes a generated pick list to complete instrumentation and consumables required for Case cart.
- Maintains an understanding of the dynamics of sterilization and an ability to operate any sterilization system in use within the department including preparing the device for a particular sterilization technique, operating the sterilizer, and processing monitoring readings, error codes and quality assurance for load releases.
- Maintains an understanding of and adheres to Quality Assurance Policies and Procedures.
- Handles and transports sterile supplies.
- Applies inverting rotation and sterility maintenance principles.
- Interacts in person and/or on the telephone with operating room personnel to ensure supply issues are met.
- Transports soiled surgical instruments and equipment, while ensuring infection control principles are followed.
- Critical problem solving and decision making is required including: prioritization of which instrument to process to meet surgical requirement; customer service complaints; dialoging with surgical staff regarding missing instruments; and determining that equipment is functional prior to preparing for sterilization.
- Acts as a liaison with nursing staff when preparing for emergency trauma cases.
- Previous Medical Device Reprocessing Technician I experience required.
- Previous case cart picking preferred.
- Complete Grade 12 education, Manitoba standards, required.
- Successful completion of a recognized Sterile Processing Technician program required.
Qualifications and Skills
- Preference will be given to those applicants competent in an Indigenous language and/or knowledge in Indigenous customs, traditions and values.
- Must understand and apply safety principles to self, staff and patients, and demonstrate good customer service.
- Basic computer skills required.
- Must have a good knowledge of surgical instrumentation, consumable supplies and sterilization techniques.
- Must be fluent in written and verbal English, and possess good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be versatile and rotate through and assist with all the assignments.
- Must be capable of working under pressure and performing a wide range of duties that may require independent action.
- Must be able to apply knowledge through experience to organize duties systematically.
- Must be cooperative, alert, accept directions, and be able to function as a team member.
- Work involves frequent exposure to infectious body and blood borne organisms when working with soiled equipment and toxic effects when working with ETO sterilizers and Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) products.
- Position involves meticulous attention to detail with regards to technical and mechanical ability.
- Must maintain a clean and orderly work environment.
- Pushing and pulling sterilizer carts and supply carts as required.
- Bending and stooping.
- Loading and unloading of carts.
- Lifting and positioning of articles in excess of 30 pounds (i.e. OR instrument pans, etc.).
- Repetitive hand arm and shoulder motions and long periods of standing.
- Potential for burns from working with steam sterilizers and hot carts.
The Collective Agreement this position is covered under, is identified by the Union noted above. As a result of The Health Sector Bargaining Unit Review Act, the bargaining agent for this position may differ from the Union identified. In the event you have any questions, please contact your site Human Resources Department.
This position requires a current satisfactory Criminal Records Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check as conditions of employment. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred. A security check is considered current if it was obtained no more than six (6) months prior to the start of employment.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more positions across the WRHA legal entity that combine to equal more than 1.0 EFT. The WRHA legal entity includes Churchill Health Centre, Deer Lodge Centre, Grace Hospital, Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg, Pan Am Clinic, River Park Gardens, Victoria General Hospital, WRHA corporate programs, and WRHA community health services.
Interviewed candidates may be called upon to participate in a skills assessment.
Any application received after the closing time will not be included in the competition.
We welcome applications from people with disabilities. Accomodations are available upon request during the assessment and selection process.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Job Description Clinic Entry Point Screeners duties include but not limited to: Reporting to Management, the Entry Point Screener plays a key role in ensuring the Health and Safety of our facility b [...]
Business Equipment and Computer Applications - Internet Work Setting - Telecommunications company - Private sector - Business sector - Retail/wholesale establishment/distribution centre [...]
Business Equipment and Computer Applications - MS Excel - MS Windows - MS Word - Accounting software - MS Outlook Specific Skills - Reconcile accounts - Prepare trial balance of books [...]
Le défi à relever! Responsabilités du poste Expérience souhaitée #revealyourpotential #LifeAtCascades Cascades believes in the success of an inclusive organization that values diversity withi [...]