Hydro One Networks inc.
41283 - Toronto - Regular - Ongoing
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
It’s an exciting time to join the team at Hydro One!
Reporting to the Manager - Transmission System Planning
- Lead and/or participate in teams involving LDCs and the IESO along with other stakeholders to facilitate the Regional Planning process throughout Ontario to fulfill OEB mandatory obligations; provide quality assurance of each of the Regional Planning deliverables in a timely manner; participate in stakeholder meetings
- Conduct planning studies/assessments and prepare reports to develop and recommend preferred solutions to manage capacity and reliability of the transmission system for safe and secure operation
- Perform technical/economic/environmental/business/regulatory impact assessments and other specialized technical/business studies to determine transmission and distribution customer/system needs; analyze problems, develop strategies, alternatives and preferred solution; and facilitate delivery of solution through suppliers and service providers.
- Develop load forecast for planning studies based on sound engineering principles and input from the LDCs, IESO and Hydro One Load Forecast Group
- Develop and coordinate in producing project definition and preparation of projects, programs, processes, standards, and tools related to the management of transmission stations assets.
- Undertake and complete planning studies and risk assessments to support the development of station capital investment plans and coordinate activities with customers, service providers and stakeholders to enable successful implementation of station capital investment plans.
- Prepare planning specifications (Scope of Work) for new/modified transmission facilities, new or modified generation connections to the transmission system or new or modified load connections to the transmission system and work with service providers to manage risks and to ensure meeting of approved project schedule and budget.
- Prepare recommendations and business cases for investments in the transmission system or connection to the transmission system for management and regulatory approvals.
- Prepare and/or contribute to business plan and regulatory submissions such as Leave to Construct Applications, Rate Filings and Environmental Assessments
- Develop business plans, budgets and regulatory submissions and ensure reporting systems such as SAP are kept current.
- Monitor, control and redirect major projects, programs and complex projects during the planning, estimating and execution phases.
- Assist junior staff in specialized studies to determine customer and or system needs; analyze problems, develop strategies, alternatives and preferred solutions; and facilitate delivery of solutions through suppliers and service providers.
- Recognize areas requiring study or action and recommend and participate in programs that should be undertaken to improve performance or to avoid problems.
- Participate (as required) as a representative of the Company before regulatory agencies and on internal and external committees/task forces (e.g. IESO, NERC,NPCC, CSA, CEA etc.) related to transmission planning.
- Facilitate Transmission System Planning and/or Hydro One on discussion and negotiation with interconnected utilities, customers, stakeholders and suppliers on system development matters.
- Be a technical resource to the team and consultant on asset management matters. Promote acceptance to corporate proposals and contribute to secure, protect and advance business objectives.
- Assist the System Planning Division in setting overall policy and direction for managing Hydro One’s transmission and distribution assets.
- Liaise with other internal work groups, divisions and outside interests.
- Receive assignments from the Manager in broad terms on specific problems related to assigned area of work.
- Provide guidance to others as required, assist in resolution of work problems and train new staff in job responsibilities.
- Act as a team leader and multi-discipline task coordinator for assigned projects.
- Maintain an awareness of advancing technology developments related to transmission/distribution assets.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Knowledge and experience of integrated power system planning and operations, including generation and transmission components and their impact on system security.
- Knowledge and understanding of the structure of the Electrical industry in Ontario, the Transmission System Code, IESO market rules, NPCC and NERC criteria
- Working knowledge and experience in working with SAP-type systems to release work to service providers
- Ability to assess, develop, recommend and implement transmission development plans and process with due regard for technical and commercial risks.
- Ability to provide advice to decision-makers, which has resulted in adoption of recommendations and significant business improvements.
- Requires knowledge of technical writing for the preparation of contract documents, scopes of work, technical reports and specifications as well as strong oral communication skills for presentations and facilitation of meetings.
- Ability in planning and maintaining control of quality, cost and work performance.
- Ability to work effectively as a leader or within a multi-functional team, interacting with others to develop co-operative working relationships.
- Ability to break down complex problems and issues into critically important component parts, analyzing the available information and expressing the results of the analysis and solutions with concise clarity.
- Ability to be innovative and find new effective ways of putting together solutions and ability to recognize opportunities/issues and take initiative in suggesting a course of actions.
- Ability to challenge current practices and recommend programs with calculated risks to improve operation and develop new opportunities.
- Ability to work in a project environment, under tight deadlines, interfacing with other experts, as well as customers, field staff and the project leader.
- Familiarity and experience in preparing evidence related to sustainment asset plans & processes required for regulatory rate hearings or hearings before the regulator.
- Must have good working knowledge of the Hydro One Investment Planning and Accounting systems and processes.
- Ability to help junior staff in the department
- Demonstrated strong customer orientation and sensitivity to business objectives.
- Ability to coordinate work and lead a team.
- Familiarity with GIS, SAP and Asset Analytics
- Demonstrated clear and concise communication skills both verbal and written on topics with significant depth and/or complexity.
- Ability to work independently with moderate supervision.
- Willingness to travel to field locations and customer sites
Essential Knowledge, Experience and Qualifications:
- Completion of 4 years university degree in electrical engineering is considered necessary and a post graduate degree or equivalent post graduate studies in power system analysis is recommended.
- Excellent knowledge, experience and understanding of the planning, design, operations and performance of large interconnected power system, including the performance characteristics of power system apparatus and equipment including but not limited to transmission station and line assets.
- Requires experience of the electrical power system operational and business requirements, policies, practices and procedures governing transmission stations assets.
- Experience and capability in analysing complex power systems using sophisticated simulation software packages such as PSS/E.
- Experience in using power system analysis tools (PSS/E) for conducting power flow, dynamic stability and short circuit studies.
- Requires experience related to the planning, design, performance, commissioning, operation, and maintenance of transmission stations assets.
- Experience in co-ordinating and preparing technical reports, equipment performance specifications and business case summaries for management approvals.
- Experience and understanding of transmission planning criteria and the internal and external approval process.
- Working knowledge of established reliability standards e.g. security criteria, the NERC, NPCC, IESO and Hydro One operating policies, and procedures
- Working knowledge of Market rules and the IESO processes related reliable operation of the interconnected power system.
- Requires the desire to assist others.
- Requires familiarity with corporate financial business and regulatory policies.
- A Registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario or similar jurisdiction
- A period of 6-8 years work experience in planning, design engineering or operating transmission power systems is considered necessary to gain this experience.
This job may require periodic reassignments, for development purposes, within the Transmission System Planning Division.
At Hydro One we understand that the success and strength of our business rests with our people. When we develop their skills, we are investing in both their success and ours. To secure the best talent, we seek to create a workforce that reflects the diverse populations of the communities where we live and work and to create a culture based on safety, innovation and inclusiveness.
We are honoured to be recognized by Forbes in its list of Canada’s Best Employers for 2020.
Thank you for considering a career with Hydro One, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. If you are having difficulty using our online application system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, please email [email protected] Hydro One will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process.
Please note this email is only for accommodation requests. Resumes sent to this email address will not be considered.
Deadline: February 16, 2021
In the event you are experiencing difficulties applying to this job please consult our help page here.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Seeking a photographer to create photo's of various of products for a Amazon store. I will also need videos of models demonstrating the products. Please provide a brief description of you as a profess [...]
Job Title: Sewing machine operators supervisor (NOC 9217) Job Type: Full-time / Permanent Position Salary: $22.00 / hour No. Vacancies – 1 Location: Mississauga - Ontario Education: Secondary School [...]
Hi Am looking for cash job this weekend. I can drive ,help in moving [...]
Top notch guest experience kitchen duties include cooking pizza, preparation of dough and prep maintaining a clean and safe environment according to the standard of the restaurant is important. [...]