Youth Horizons program provides support in a safe home environment to at-risk youth (13-18 years of age) receiving services through the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD). WJS staff support these youth in making favorable choices that facilitate success in achieving a sustainable, healthy lifestyle in a safe, educational and nurturing environment. We provide positive role-modeling and consistent structure, within a trauma-informed care framework.
Youth Horizons, located in a freshly renovated two-story home in the Gordon Head area of Saanich, provides support in a safe home environment for at-risk youth (13-18 years of age)
receiving services through the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD). Currently this co-ed home houses 4 female teens, with the potential for 2 additional youth.? Our programs and services nurture personal growth, teach life skills and provide help for emotional issues, abuse, mental health concerns, abandonment and addictions.
In Your Role You Will
- Participate in assessing, setting goals for and evaluating progress of persons served.
- Teach persons served to relate in a socially appropriate manner through the use of daily routines and activities.
- Monitor persons served and ensure their safety and well-being; utilizes practices that promote health, welfare, safety and security of persons served.
- Provide behaviour management counseling on a one-to-one and/or group basis by performing duties such as providing feedback on client behaviour, teaching coping techniques and adaptive behaviour, and providing guidance and support.
- Provide emotional support and crisis intervention to persons served which may include nonviolent physical interventions.
- Ensure communication and liaison between program, school, family and the community.
- Ensure physical needs of persons served are met by performing duties such as assisting with basic personal hygiene and activities of daily living.
- Administer medications to persons served according to established guidelines, procedures and instructions.
- Maintain reports such as statistics, logbooks and daily activities relating to persons served.
- Carry out household duties such as meal preparation and household cleaning.
- Accompany persons served to appointments and community outings.
- Participate in the OHS Committee as required.
- Operate motor vehicles safely and legally while transporting persons served or on WJS business.
- Advocate effectively for persons served.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as required.
The Residence Worker (RW) with overnight scheduling is part of a dynamic care-giver team and is responsible for assisting our person served (PS) to live successfully in residential settings in an accredited agency. Ensure physical, emotional, social, educational and medical needs are met. The Residence Worker assists the PS to enhance quality of life with activities of daily living and the development of life skills. They provide behavioural support and supervision in the program and community, implement and monitor individual program plans through observation and accurate reporting, and participate in operating and maintain the program. These positions require union membership with BCGEU.
Scheduling:Two (2) permanent, part-time positions:
- Position 1 - 32 hours per week - Wednesday through Saturday 1600-2400
- Position 2 - 16 hours per week - Sunday 1600-2400 and Monday 1500-2300
Criminal Record Check/Ministry Check Statement
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 6 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
- A diploma or degree in one of the humanities, social work or related field. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Minimum of two years recent related experience in child and youth care, or a combination of relevant education and experience.
- Previous experience with operating a licensed home and trauma informed practice
- Valid BC Driver’s License and clean driver’s abstract with a reliable, safe vehicle that has appropriate insurance
- Valid CPR/First Aid, WHMIS, and Food Hygiene and Sanitation certificates (or ability to obtain within probation period)
- Non-Violent Physical Crisis Intervention Certificate and/or MANDT and Conflict Resolution Certificate (or ability to obtain within probation period)
- Physician’s note confirming suitability, including immunization records and a negative tuberculosis screening test
- Positive behavior supports experience
**Successful applicants will be required to participate in MCFD screening prior to confirmed employment with WJS Canada.**
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada’s mission is ‘We serve individuals and families with high quality, personalized, and culturally responsive support’. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
While WJS serves individuals in many communities across Canada, this opportunity is in Victoria, BC. Situated on the southern tip of Vancouver Island, Victoria offers a wonderful blend of old and new experiences. As the provincial capital, Victoria offers the mildest climate in Canada. With scenic views, heritage architecture and culinary delights, Victoria is an area rich with personality. Often amongst the top destinations in Canada, Victoria offers a close-knit community, rich with community festivals, eco-tourism and opportunity. For more information on living and working in Victoria, visit: http://www.victoriachamber.ca/
Our Employees Enjoy
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.
For more information on WJS Canada visit our website: www.wjscanada.com
No telephone calls please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Requisition ID: 173001 Position Number: 20032961 Posting End Date: December 4, 2020 City: Winnipeg Site: WRHA Community Health Services Work Location: WRHA Community Health Services Department / [...]
Requisition ID: 149423 Position Number: 20058533 Posting End Date: December 4, 2020 City: Winnipeg Site: Seven Oaks General Hospital Work Location: Seven Oaks General Hospital Department / Unit: [...]
Requisition ID: 170164 Position Number: 20083451 Posting End Date: Dec 4, 2020 City: Winnipeg Site: Victoria General Hospital Work Location: Victoria General Hospital Department / Unit: Adult Me [...]
Requisition ID: 172082 Position Number: 20056425 Posting End Date: December 4, 2020 City: Winnipeg Site: Misericordia Health Centre Work Location: Misericordia Health Centre Department / Unit: M [...]