About Queen's University
Queen’s University is the Canadian research intensive university with a transformative student learning experience. Here the employment experience is as diverse as it is interesting. We have opportunities in multiple areas of globally recognized research, faculty administration, engineering & construction, athletics & recreation, power generation, corporate shared services, and many more.
We are committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcome applications from individuals from equity seeking groups such as women, racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples, persons with a disability,
persons who identify in the LGBTQ+ community and others who reflect the diversity of Canadian society.
Come work with us!
Career Services delivers programs and services to help students manage their careers now and into the future. Reporting to the Associate Director, and receiving day to day supervision from the Office Coordinator, the Departmental Assistant is responsible for providing professional and efficient administrative support for Career Services. The Departmental Assistant is responsible for the daily administration and operation of Career Services by performing day-to-day reception duties and fulfilling various administrative tasks such as preparing routine correspondence and financial transactions, word processing and responding to emails, phone calls and visitors. The incumbent oversees the organization and dissemination of information to assist with the overall functioning of the office.
- Supports the administrative business functions including mail distribution, booking rooms, designing and maintaining departmental filing systems (hard-copy and electronic), as well as maintaining an inventory of supplies and equipment and ordering supplies when necessary.
- Provides administrative support to the Associate Director and Director, including calendar management; scheduling and coordination of meetings; preparing forms and other documents for signature; drafting correspondence; filing and record maintenance.
- Provides administrative support to the committees lead by the Associate Director or Director. This includes maintaining and updating membership lists; scheduling and coordination of committee meetings; gathering, processing and distributing meeting materials; and recording of minutes.
- Performs routine financial transactions and basic account reconciliation as well as processes payments when required, collecting and organizing information for future reference. Works with Financial Services and other units across campus to help resolve discrepancies. Supports budget preparation as required and under direction, including preparing financial summaries and verifying budget information.
- Prepares documents such as travel claims to process payments related to department/unit.
- Manages the departmental purchasing card including reconciling and preparing reports as required.
- Collects, inputs, processes, verifies and organizes information from various sources using electronic systems to ensure information is easily retrievable. Makes recommendations to help develop and implement new ways to organize information.
- Assists designated senior staff on special projects in support of the Department. Duties may include helping with preliminary research; gathering and organizing information into straightforward and useable formats; working with other internal/external units as needed to complete the work.
- Acts as the departmental IT Representative, which includes responsibility for requesting computer and email accounts; managing requests for IT and telephone services; updating entries in the Queen’s telephone and email directories; and keeping others in the department informed of IT news, alerts and updates.
- Creates and maintains records, including email, mailing and distribution lists, spreadsheets, and any other electronic record keeping systems.
- Acts as designated timekeeper for various department/unit staff.
- Acts as the Departmental Safety Officer.
- May be required to assist with reception duties when staff members return to campus.
- Respects diversity and promotes equity and inclusion in the workplace.
- Undertakes other duties as required in support of the Department.
- Two-year post-secondary program in business administration or related area.
- Minimum of two years of relevant previous experience working in an office environment, preferably within a University.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency using Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other office software. Familiarity with the web and the ability to use WebPublish an asset.
- Knowledge of the university structure and financial systems considered an asset.
- Knowledge of standard office procedures gained through previous relevant experience within an office environment.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping/accounting practices and ability to synthesize and organize financial information.
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening required.
- Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, a service-oriented perspective, and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse range of students, staff, faculty, and other internal / external partners of the department/unit.
- Writing, basic editing and proofreading skills, paying attention to detail and ensuring accuracy of information.
- Understanding of organizational policies and procedures related to assigned tasks.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills; ability to control a demanding schedule of conflicting priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and focus, even under pressure and / or with frequent interruptions.
- Self-starter with an ability to work independently and in a collaborative team environment.
- Problem-solving skills with an ability to know when to refer problems to others.
- Ability to learn and apply new technologies.
- Prioritizes own time and duties to ensure work is completed within time constraints.
- Makes decisions on allocation of time and resources based on administrative needs of the office.
- Responds to general inquiries and provides reasonable answers, or a means to find the answer, in a timely manner. Uses appropriate judgement to decide if requests should be redirected to another individual.
- Ability to determine when to bring information to attention of senior staff or manager, ensuring appropriate background details are provided.
- Decides how to distribute information, what method to use, and who to send it to, understanding that information may be sensitive and will require tact and/or discretion.
- Assesses and determines schedule requirements of others, resolving conflicts and managing competing appointments or meetings.
- Determines how to present information on the website to best represent the Department.
Employment Equity and Accessibility Statement
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Queen’s is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. In accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
The University provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources at [email protected] .
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Title: Supply Assistant Department: Inventory Services Position Number: 50053931, 50059243 Hours of Work: (2) Temporary Part-time Positions (approximately 6 months) Rotating Shifts: 07:00–15:00, [...]
Perioperative Assistant, Part-Time, Operating Room Hours of Work: Permanent Part-time Position, 8 hour rotating shifts; (0730-1530, 1530-2330, 2330-0730) Band: $22.616-$25.060 Union: CUPE Locati [...]
Laboratory Assistant Temporary Part-Time Position; Rotating 8 Hr Shifts Union: OPSEU4106 Central Location: Kingston General Hospital Site DESCRIPTION: Within the laboratories of Kingston Genera [...]
Environmental Services Assistant, Environmental Services Temporary Part-Time Positions; Rotating Shifts Pay: $21.588-$23.921 per hour Union: CUPE Location: Kingston General Hospital Site or Hotel [...]