Public Health Agency of Canada
Public Health Agency of Canada
Calgary (Alberta), Edmonton (Alberta), Vancouver (British Columbia), Winnipeg (Manitoba), Moncton (New Brunswick), St. John's (Newfoundland and Labrador), Halifax (Nova Scotia), Iqaluit (Nunavut), Guelph (Ontario), Ottawa (Ontario), Toronto (Ontario), Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island), Montréal Island (Québec), Saint-Hyacinthe (Québec), Regina (Saskatchewan), Whitehorse (Yukon)
Indeterminate, Term, Casual, Deployment, Assignment, Secondment, Acting, Interchange Canada
$73,027 to $100,492 (EC-04: $73,027 to $84,510 | EC-05: $87,308 to $100,492)
For further information on the organization, please visit Public Health Agency of Canada
31 March 2021 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply: Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
Are you looking for a meaningful career as an Epidemiologist? Join the Public Health Agency of Canada!
We have immediate and future needs to recruit a significant number of Epidemiologist.
Do you have:
- Epidemiology or Public Health education and experience
- A passion for working with health data
- An ability to analyse, interpret, synthesize and provide recommendations and
- Want to be part of a team that achieves results?
Then keep reading to find out more about this exciting opportunity!
Some of the duties include, but are not limited to:
- Conducts, plans, designs epidemiological research, studies, surveillance through data collection, validation, analysis, monitoring and interpretation.
- Critically evaluates and assesses epidemiological/statistical and other scientific evidence, studies, targeted surveillance and research activities and methodologies to identify and evaluate risk factors to public health as well as to validate the integrity of the data and scientific methodology.
- Prepares and disseminates reports for use by stakeholders and prepares data/statistics and information for briefings, presentations, responses to ministerial enquiries, the media and the public.
- As a subject-matter expert, develops recommendations for consideration by PHAC senior management in making evidenced-based decisions on strategic planning and required areas of research.
- Participates in multi-disciplinary project teams to conduct epidemiological studies and analyses.
- May manage project teams or a Unit conducting epidemiological and/or bio-statistical research, surveillance, risk assessment and investigations.
Who are we?
The Public Health Agency of Canada has been created to deliver on the Government of Canada's commitment to help protect the health and safety of all Canadians. Its activities focus on preventing chronic diseases, like cancer and heart disease, preventing injuries and responding to public health emergencies and infectious disease outbreaks.
Why should you consider the Public Health Agency of Canada as your next career stepping-stone?
The Public Health Agency of Canada provides its employees with an exceptional workplace, opportunities for professional development, access to continued learning throughout their careers and flexible work schedules. You will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced organization with engaged individuals. You will also enjoy your salary, as well as, benefits (dental and health care) for you and your family, an appealing pension plan and access to our Family and Employee Assistance Program.
Intent of the process
The intent of this inventory is to have a pool of interested and/or qualified candidates to draw from for current and future needs within the Public Health Agency of Canada. Online applications will be accepted as long as the poster is active.
The Public Health Agency of Canada will periodically pull and review the applications received and contact applicants selected for further assessment based on the needs. It is therefore important for candidates to apply online as soon as possible.
As this process is for EC-04 to EC-05 positions, depth and breadth of experience/response may be used during screening, assessment and/or selection of candidate.
Positions to be filled: Number to be determined
Information you must provide
A response to a text question addressing the following:
Tell us where you saw or heard about this job advertisement: LinkedIn, Indeed, Twitter, Post-Secondary Institution communication, Association website/communication, Word of Mouth, Other? Please note that your response is not linked to this staffing process but will be used to inform future government recruitment campaigns.
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
If this sounds like an exciting opportunity to you, please confirm that you meet the criteria for the positions and apply now!
The application process is simple. You only need to confirm your profile within your account on GC jobs which includes your education level, select the level of the level(s) you are interested in, respond to the screening questions (make sure you provide details), answer the yes/no questions for the additional experience criteria, and upload your resume. Come join this important team!
- Graduation with a degree from a recognized post-secondary institution with acceptable specialization in Economics, Sociology or Statistics* and epidemiology**.
- Candidates must always have a degree. The courses for the specialization must be acceptable and may have been taken at a recognized post-secondary institution, but not necessarily within a degree program in the required specialization. The specialization may also be obtained through an acceptable combination of education, training and/or experience.
**Epidemiology education must include at a minimum one course in Bio-statistics and two courses in Epidemiology.
If you have an epidemiology background (experience, training and/or education) and a degree in nursing, veterinary, biology or medical doctorate, we still encourage you to apply.
- Significant* experience in Public Health or Epidemiology**
- Significant years of experience refers to the depth, breadth and complexity of experience NORMALLY acquired from performing the duties for the number of years below. However, meeting this minimum requirements of years does not necessarily mean that you will meet the requirement as required experiences may vary by positions.
- 0 - 2 years of public health or epidemiology experience (EC-04)
- 2 - 4 years of public health or epidemiology experience (EC-05)
**Public health or epidemiology experience is defined as experience gained in the analysis and interpretation of health data in the context of public health practice, which may include: surveillance related activities, investigation of public health issues, program development, implementation, evaluation, or health promotion. The experience can be obtained through employment in an academic program, a clinical setting or a public health organization or government department/agency. Experience gained through a graduate degree program/research or volunteer work is not acceptable).
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
Various language requirements
English Essential; French Essential or Bilingual Imperative (Various Bilingual Profiles – BBB/BBB, CBC/CBC)
Information on language requirements
- Working effectively with others
- Thinking Things Through
- Shows initiative and is action-orientated
- Attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- Ability to analyse, interpret and synthesize data and provide recommendations.
Based on the hiring division’s needs, additional essential qualifications, asset qualifications, organizational needs,operational requirements and/or conditions of employment maybe identified and applied during the assessment and/or selection of candidates.
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
Candidates MAY be required to meet the following education qualification, depending on the requirements of the specific position being staffed as they may be deemed as either an Essential or Asset qualification.
- Graduation with a Master's degree from a recognized post-secondary institution in epidemiology, public health, behavioural sciences or another specialty related to the position being staffed.
- Graduation with a PHD from a recognized post-secondary institution with an acceptable specialization in epidemiology, public health, behavioural sciences or specialization relevant to the position being staffed.
- Graduation with a Doctoral or Clinical degree (PhD, MD, DVM, RN) from a recognized post-secondary institution.
Candidates MAY be required to meet ONE OR MORE of the following qualifications, depending on the requirements of the specific position being staffed as they may be deemed as either an Essential or Asset qualification.
- Experience in analysing survey data
- Experience in working with large data sets and performing data analysis
- Experience in using statistical software to manipulate datasets.
- Experience in the design, development, evaluation or management of public health surveillance activities or system(s).
- Experience compiling, analyzing and interpreting epidemiological or surveillance information for technical reports or briefing materials
- Experience in designing or evaluating epidemiological studies.
- Experience planning, developing or delivering content used in public health training such as a workshop, in-person or online training course.
- Experience providing recommendations to senior management
- Experience in the development and management of chronic, noncommunicable or infectious/communicable disease surveillance systems.
- Experience working with external or internal stakeholders
- Experience conducting complex statistical analysis (e.g., statistical modelling, factor analyses, geospatial analyses, regression analyses, etc.).
Both (EC-04 & EC-05)
- Experience in applied epidemiology (e.g., conducting or coordinating outbreak investigations, chronic or infectious/communicable disease surveillance or other applied epidemiological studies).
- Experience in epidemiological or statistical modeling.
- Experience in conducting risk assessments or risk analysis.
- Experience in responding to infectious disease outbreaks.
- Experience in chronic disease epidemiology or research
- Experience in mental health /mental illness epidemiology or research
- Experience in social and/or behavioural sciences
- Experience working in a public health or health sciences environment
- Experience in analysing large health datasets, including population based surveys or health administrative data.
- Experience in analysis related to vulnerable populations and or determinants of health
- Experience conducting literature reviews of published articles
- Knowledge of using statistical software to manipulate datasets and perform data analysis.
- Knowledge of methodological approaches to clinical practice or public health guideline development, and Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development, and Evaluation (GRADE)
- Knowledge of evidence synthesis methods (i.e. overview of reviews, systematic reviews, rapid reviews) with quantitative or qualitative evidence
- Ability to work under pressure
NOTE: Based on the hiring needs, additional essential qualifications, asset qualifications, organizational needs,operational requirements and/or conditions of employment may be identified and applied during the assessmentand/or selection of candidates.
Candidates MAY be required to meet ONE OR MORE of the following operational requirements depending on the requirements of the specific position being staffed.
- Willingness and availability to travel domestically and/or internationally.
- Available to work overtime, often on short notice based on operational requirements.
Conditions of employment
Reliability Status security clearance
Secret security clearance
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request special accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Information on accommodation for persons with disabilities: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-service-commission/services/assessment-accommodation-page.html
You are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of your choice (English or French). You are asked to indicate your preferred official language in your application.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Environmental Coordinator Join a world class team that is committed to bringing clean energy to British Columbia for decades to come! Located at the Site C Dam, Peace River Hydro Partners is the prim [...]
The Body Shop When Anita Roddick founded The Body Shop in 1976, she had a vision. Business as a force for good – that’s us. Over 40 years later, we’re proud to be pioneering cruelty-free beauty [...]
Do you enjoy working outdoors in a fast-paced, safety obsessed aviation environment? ATS is an aviation services company operating in more than 50 cities across North America. We employ over 3,000 [...]
Looking for and experience Child Care worker in a dayhome setting located in the SW of Calgary! If you are passionate about working with kids and infants and want a fun and exciting work environment, [...]