Hotel Dieu Hospital
PRIMARY FUNCTION :
Under the direction of the RN/RPN, performs assigned functions that (1) support the RN/RPN in assisting patients in activities of daily living and (2) support the effective operations of patient care area(s).
Within this role the Patient Care Assistant is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the KHSC strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
- Performs or assists patients with activities of daily living including basic hygiene as assigned (e.g. toileting, bathing, dressing and undressing, mouth care and grooming).
- Assists with turning, repositioning, lifting, transferring and ambulating patients as assigned.
- Assists with patient nourishment by preparing patients for meals, preparing refreshments and assisting with low-risk oral feeding as assigned.
- Records the patient care provided as required and according to hospital policy. Documents patient care data (e.g. height, weight, activities of daily living and intake and output).
- Prepares patient units for elective/emergency admissions and transfers. Assists in maintaining the general tidiness and safety of the work/care areas by stocking patient care supplies, removing and disposing of equipment and supplies as appropriate or directed
- Effectively communicates to the RN/RPN, in a timely objective manner without interpretation: Patient information specific to assigned activities, Observe changes in patients’ condition, and Patient findings and/or unusual occurrences.
- Adheres to worker responsibilities as set out in the Occupational Health & Safety Act, hospital safety policies, and dept/unit established procedures at all times.
- Graduate of a Personal Support Worker or equivalent program within the past two years. If not a graduate of a Personal Support Worker program or equivalent program within the past two years, must have at least one year of full time equivalent work experience within the past five years.
- Completion of secondary school or equivalent.
- Through work or clinical placement, 150 hours experience as a Personal Support Worker or equivalent in a long-term care or complex continuing care setting within the past five years.
- Ability to speak, read and write in English as demonstrated by testing.
- Ability to follow instructions and cope with interruptions.
- Ability to be self-directed in performing position responsibilities, as assigned.
- Good interpersonal skills in communicating with patients, families, team and the general public.
- Proven ability to attend work regularly.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check required.
The applicant must be able to meet the physical demands of this position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
DESCRIPTION: Under the Direction of Environmental Services Manager, the Environmental Services Assistant performs assigned functions in patient service, staff and/or public areas, according to esta [...]
DESCRIPTION: Primary functions include, but are not limited to: receiving, storage, & distribution of food & other supplies; preparation and portioning of food; meal selection taking; tray assembly; [...]
DESCRIPTION: Within the laboratories of Kingston General Hospital (KGH), incumbents will support an environment of quality service reflective of the Mission, Vision, Philosophy, and Values of KHSC. [...]
PRIMARY FUNCTION : Under the direction of the RN/RPN, performs assigned functions that (1) support the RN/RPN in assisting patients in activities of daily living and (2) support the effective operati [...]