University of Toronto
STUDENT POSITION FOR MASTERS OR PHD
POSITION: 6 TO 12 MONTH TERM (WITH POSSIBILITY OF EXTENSION)
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR, RESEARCH & BEST PRACTICE IMPLEMENTATION
The Praxis Spinal Cord Institute (formerly Rick Hansen Institute) is a Canadian-based not-for-profit organization that leads global collaboration in spinal cord injury research, innovation, and care. We advance ground-breaking ideas that can be put into practice, making lives better. We actively engage people with spinal cord injuries and other world-class experts to work together to identify and solve the most urgent challenges to make exceptional improvements in the health of people with spinal cord injuries. Praxis is an ancient Greek word,
a process by which theory is applied practically. This is exactly the work that we do: moving knowledge into action. The Praxis Spinal Cord Institute is proudly accredited by Imagine Canada and was named one of Canada’s Top 100 Charities by Maclean’s and Money Sense magazines, achieving an A+ rating.
Reporting to the Director, Research & Best Practice Evaluation, the Research Assistant will work closely with and take direction from the Senior Biostatistician on assigned projects. The Research Assistant will also work collaboratively with other Praxis internal and external project team members and assist with the preparation of a technical report, possibly a manuscript for publication.
- Supporting the application of new methods in Data Science (e.g. machine learning, Fuzzy theory) using SCI data;
- Link and integrate data in different formats from a variety of data sources (both internal and external to Praxis);
- Write and execute computer programs as required, using Matlab, Python or R;
- Generate standard and customized data reports;
- Conduct data reviews, data quality assessments, and data analyses using databases, spreadsheets, and statistical software such as SPSS and R;
- Be willing to learn programming techniques, health services and population health research methods, and other relevant information related to the project as required;
- Work collaboratively with other Praxis team members (i.e. provide regular updates on activities), ensuring timely notification of issues or problems, and communicate with internal and external project team members;
- Assist with the preparation of a technical report, and possibly a manuscript for publication.
- A Masters or PhD student in a relevant discipline (Computing Science, Engineering Science, Statistics, etc.)
- Experience using Matlab and R
- Understanding of other statistical software such as SPSS and SAS
- Experience using Python would be an asset
- Effective oral and written communication
- Effective time management skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy, analyzing and attention to detail
- Ability to exercise tact, discretion, and confidentiality
- Ability to interact effectively and positively with others
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to identify and solve problems
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates can apply here by September 11, 2020. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information on Praxis Spinal Cord Institute, please visit our website at www.praxisinstitute.org.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Job Posting Job ID: 38327 Location: Vancouver - Point Grey Campus Employment Group: Management&Professional; (AAPS) Job Category: Research & Facilitation Classification Tit [...]
Job Posting Job ID: 38327 Location: Vancouver - Point Grey Campus Employment Group: Management&Professional; (AAPS) Job Category: Research & Facilitation Classification [...]
The Managing Editor provides overall development, planning, management (strategic and financial), coordination and communication for a wide range of research activities within the Therapeutics Section [...]
Medical Laboratory Technologist 2, Chemistry St. Paul's Hospital, Vancouver, BC $31.44/hr - $39.22/hr The Medical Laboratory Technologist is responsible for the weekend/night shift and performs te [...]