University of British Columbia.
Vancouver - Hospital Site
CUPE 2950 (Cler/Secr/Library)
CUPE 2950 Administrative Suppt
Administrative Support 3 (Gr6)
Administrative Support 3 (Gr6)
Faculty of Medicine
Desired Start Date:
Job End Date:
Possibility of Extension:
The position provides complex administrative and financial assistance to the Residency Program Manager in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia. The Residency Program Assistant (RPA) is responsible for the day-to-day administrative and financial processes of 7 programs within the Residency Programs that are distributed across the lower mainland. In this role, the RPA provides administrative & financial support in accordance with the policies and procedures of UBC and the Ministry of Health (MOH) guidelines and accreditation standards.
The position reports directly to the Residency Program Manager for administrative functions. There are dotted lines reporting to the 7 Program Directions in the Residency Program. The position is based at the Vancouver General Hospital and involves travel between Faculty of Medicine sites, Point Grey campus, hospitals, faculty departments, etc.
The incumbent is required to collaborate with other administrative staff and interact with faculty members, health authority employees, UBC Finance, residents, Program Chairs or academic representatives in the Department, Site Program Directors, External Program Directors, Associate Deans - Postgraduate Medical Education, College of Physicians & Surgeons of BC, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and others.
- Provides administrative support for 7 Residency Programs .
- In collaboration with the Residency Program Manager, assists in coordinating Residency Program events, such as interviews during CaRMS which is the national system for matching graduate students into residency spots, resident orientations, Academic Half Days (AHD), annual events, graduation ceremony, exams, and other related events. Books rooms, arranges for catering, prepares materials for events, and other related duties.
- CaRMS. Assists in scheduling CaRMS interviews, Skype interviews, room bookings, and responds to queries from CaRMS candidates. Also assists with logistics and operations during the CaRMS interviews, including co-ordinating paperwork on the day for the interview rooms, catering, and all IT requirements.
- Resident Orientation: communicates all arrangements with new residents, arranges all computer access/photo ID, organizes the orientation schedule, catering, and books the appropriate room(s).
- Graduation Ceremony. Prepares the invitations, tracks attendance, co-ordinates AV requirements with venue. Collects presentation information from graduates and Chief residents. Ensures presentations are compatible with laptop programs. Prepares PowerPoint slides & consults with on-site IT for any special requirements. Updates program directors of their graduate presentations and acts as the coordinator on the day of. Ensures a smooth and professional ceremony.
- RPC meetings. Organizes, attends and takes minutes at Residency Program Committee meetings, 6 quarterly RPC meetings; collects and distributes agenda, takes minutes and follows up on action items.
- Program Director Executive Committee Meetings. Organizes, attends and takes minutes at bi-monthly PDEC meetings which records key operational decisions that pertain the curriculum and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeon's of Canada's accreditation standards. The latter defines the educational requirements for residents. Follows up on action items.
- Coordinates the annual Infectious Diseases Society of America exams for the medical microbiology residents which includes acting as the proctor for the exams.
- One45. Ensures schedules are correct, and initiates the monthly evaluation send outs. Tracks and follows up on outstanding evaluations. Prepares evaluation reports.
- Internal and On-Site Royal College reviews. Provides administrative support for 7 Internal & on -Site Royal College Reviews; prepares necessary paperwork for the review process, fills out forms, collates & tracks information, catering, and support on the day of the review.
- Organizes and manages CANMED and continuing education sessions including PALS and the UBC Management course for residents. Duties include: Preparing a flyer in collaboration with the PALS leaders, organises room bookings, catering, distribution ofinvitations, and updates the website. The incumbent is on site as the point person for the day providing AV support for the speakers and attendees. The incumbent also prepares certificates for Continuing Medical Education.
- UBC Management Course: sends out invitations, tracks attendance, and follows up with attendance certificates.
- AHD. Arranges room bookings and catering in collaboration with the Chief Residents & uploads evaluations on One45.
- Exams. Registration of the resident(s) for exams, acts as Proctor when necessary, room bookings, assists residents with computer logistics for exam computer programs.
- Pathology Day. IT co-ordinator for all resident presentations, before and on the day.
- Tracks resident activity fund spending in accordance with program policies for MOH & external funds. Provides the program manager with an updated expenses spreadsheet for all RTC meetings.
- Tracks research projects approvals and spending. Maintains list of resident research publications and conference posters.
- Inputs data and evaluations on One45 for PALS sessions.
- Prepares and maintains personnel files on residents and fellows.
- Handles requests from residents for confirmation of appointment letters.
- Purchases for the Program: supplies, equipment, textbooks etc.
- Prepares cost analysis for equipment, i.e. cameras, printers, microscopes & parts.
- Updates the Program's inventory list of equipment.
- Responsible for Residency Program website updates & distribution lists.
- Compiles residents profile pictures and contact info; distributes pages and ID badges.
- Orders books for resident libraries
- Maintains and updates Residency shared drive files; corresponds with IT on resident related IT issues as needed.
- Archives old residency and education material.
- Provides general administrative coverage for other office staff positions in the Department Administration Office as required.
- Back up for Residency Program Manager when away
- Performs other related duties as needed.
Medical Undergraduate Program
- Back up for the Medical undergraduate program for all aspects of elective scheduling on One45, reporting instructions to medical students, UBC and Visiting & Preceptors.
- Prepares and reconciles requisitions and journal vouchers, verifying accuracy of information including account coding, reviewing backup documentation, ensuring authorized signatures are valid, processing and recording information related to accounts payable or to revenue accounting, manually or online, on behalf of departments, based on compliance with UBC, FoM and taxation policies and guidelines. Documents created, reviewed, and processed include requisitions, domestic and international travel claims, and journal vouchers for the Pathology Residency Program.
- Ensures proper authorization and backup documentation is obtained prior to submitting for processing.
- Responds to queries and provides support to staff and faculty in the Dept of Pathology Residency Program to help in the valid preparation of claims, reimbursements, payments and purchase orders.
- Ensures adherence to specific policies with respect to UBC policies, Faculty of Medicine policies, and Ministry of Health Guidelines, and ensures they are correctly applied.
- Reconciles the residency program's P-card and supports the oversight of the function.
- Performs duties related to web-based finance forms, such as tracking transactions.
- Tracks pager assignment/deposit as the Petty Cash Custodian.
- Assists in year-end processes as needed and provides financial processing for the Dept of Pathology.
- Maintains and updates spreadsheet for tracking the Pathology Residency Program.
- Assists in year-end processes entering deferred revenue entries via journal voucher.
- Responsible for the file management of all accounting documentation required to be kept or responsible for returning it as needed to the originating department.
- Responsible for archiving documents on the P-Drive.
- Attends training on new systems and procedures. Participates actively in requirements sessions and design/test sessions for new systems development and roll-out. Trains and supports others in the use of new systems especially during major roll-outs.
- In consultation with the Residency Program Manager, updates financial and administrative procedure manual.
Reports directly to Residency Program Manager and Finance Manager. Works independently under general supervision according to established guidelines and procedures. Receives instructions for new assignments and for changes in procedures. May also receive infrequent direction from other Department Management positions.
No supervision given.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
This position must exercise good judgment and initiative to handle matters based on the knowledge of the UBC, VGH, departmental and Royal College policies and procedures. Failure to work appropriately and maintain a high level of accuracy could lead to loss of program accreditation. Scheduling errors could result in loss of valuable pathologist and trainee time.
High School graduation and 1 year post-secondary education. Accounting diploma is preferred. 4 years related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with ERP systems preferred. Training in office procedures and accounting procedures is required. Knowledge of the requirements, policies, and procedures for Resident recruitment (CaRMS) and for Royal College reports and evaluations preferred.
- Ability to effectively use word processing, spreadsheet, database applications and graphic presentation applications at an intermediate level is required (MS Word, Excel, Adobe Professional, and Access).
- FMIS experience an asset.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Effective interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to perform word processing at 60 words per minute.
- Ability to operate a normal job-related equipment.
- Ability to provide quality service to customers in a courteous, patient manner.
- Ability to be thorough, accurate, and have a high level of attention to detail.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, tact, and discretion when handling sensitive and/or confidential matters.
- Ability to make thoughtful, informed and thorough decisions.
- Ability to compose correspondence, reports, presentations, and other written materials using clear concise business English.
- Ability to prioritize and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively independently and in a team environment. Ability to apply generally accepted accounting principles in an appropriate manner.
- Ability to research transaction details through financial computer systems and paperwork.
- Ability to analyze problems, identify key information and issues, and effectively resolve.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work exercising strong organization and time management skills.
- Ability to plan work independently, complete work assigned and meet requirements without ongoing direction.
Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the B.C. Human Rights Code, including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Job title :MEDICAL OFFICE ASSISTANT/CLERK - CASTLEGAR HEALTH CENTRE Community :CASTLEGAR Facility :CASTLEGAR DIST HLTH CTR Status :CASUAL Position Summary We are seeking casual Medical Offic [...]
Senior Recruitment Specialist - Building Job Order ID:31503 Employment Type:Permanent, Full-Time Web Publication Date:9/25/2020 Job Location:Toronto Canada, When you walk by a construction site, do [...]
Team Assistant, Float Clerk 09R An eligibility list may be established for future regular and temporary vacancies. Do you have a desire to make a difference in someone’s life? Do you have excell [...]
Job Description Job Title: Finance AssociateWork Site: Sechelt Hospital - Sechelt, BC Status: Start Date: Hours: Temporary Full Time Until Approximately August, 2020 As soon as possible 0800- [...]