AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Director of Corporate Projects, Policy and Liaison; this role will lead the Freedom of information and Privacy Team. The Privacy Officer is responsible for the City of Brampton's compliance with all relevant privacy and information access legislation including the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA). The Privacy Officer is a key member of the Corporate Projects, Policy and Liaison Division management team and is responsible for providing consultative support and advice on risk and obligations as the subject matter expert on privacy and access for the organization, especially as it pertains to MFIPPA.
The primary focus of the role is to oversee the administration of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) within the City of Brampton; as delegated, the role shares the responsibility of:
- Decisions made under MFIPPA;
- Responding to or preparing the response to formal requests submitted under MFIPPA;
- Evaluating and providing direction to all City departments regarding informal ("business as usual") requests to enhance public access while ensuring that the confidentiality provisions of the Act are met;
- Providing ongoing updates on decisions of the Information and Privacy Commissioner Ontario and their impact on the corporation
- Responsible for overseeing all on-going activities related to the development, implementation, maintenance of, and adherence to, the organizations policies and procedures covering the privacy of and access to MFIPPA related information;
- The Privacy Officer in consultation with the Clerks office as required provides the required safeguards generally associated with the collection, use, and disclosure of sensitive and confidential information;
- Prepare annual privacy work plan identifying priorities for privacy-related research and projects;
- Evaluate and undertake periodic reviews of the City's programs and procedures to ensure they meet statutory requirements;
- Provide organized and proactive coordination of administrative initiatives including correspondence, documentation and answering enquiries to meet operational needs and corporate service standards.
2.TEAM LEADERSHIP/STAFF MANAGEMENT
- Accountable for supervising the FOI and Privacy team ensuring legislated services and timelines are adhered to;
- Manage, prioritize and organize the teams' work direction to meet operational effectiveness;
- Manage, mentor, coach and provide guidance to promote effective employee relations and encourage positive morale, innovation and productivity to meet operational effectiveness;
- Orient and train staff on Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy legislation;
- Conduct performance management formal process and annual reviews;
- Interview, recruit and hire staff as required.
- Review the development of forms, surveys and questionnaires to ensure that they include statutory authority for the collection of the personal information, the purpose for which the information will be used and a contact for the client;
- Respond and handle public enquiries; prioritize requests and escalate for resolution as required to meet corporate service standards;
- Build and maintain a relationship with cross-functional departments, team, management and externally, to foster and support coordination while carrying out accountabilities.
- Ensure service-related requests are resourced to appropriate functional areas and corporately for response purposes.
- Demonstrate corporate values at all times.
4.COMMUNICATION AND REPORTING
- Design and maintain internal and public MFIPPA web sites, and review and update the City's reporting requirements on a regular basis.
- Ensuring personal information held by the City is only exchanged with, collected from or disclosed to authorized individuals and/or institutions in accordance with the Act and its Regulations;
- Prepare reports, presentations, data and other relevant materials as required accurately by established timelines;
- Investigate customer service issues and resolve general matters to ensure proper resolve.
- Maintain documentation and correspondence and ensure necessary sign-offs and approvals meet policies and confidentiality.
- Liaise with Senior Leadership and ensure proper report tracking and Information requests.
- Design and deliver training programs and presentations on MFIPPA to City employees to ensure that employees are informed about the requirements of the Act;
- Assess the sensitivity of requests and escalate requests to the Director of Corporate Projects, Policy and Liaison as required;
- Independently conduct privacy impact assessments;
- Proactively monitor the legislative, regulatory and best practice developments and trends, which may affect the City; informing leadership of pertinent operational requirements, legislative and regulatory matters.
- Responsible for the administration of confidential files and sensitive information and records.
- Maintain knowledge of City policies and practices, legislation, regulations and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Prepare, manage and responsible for sectional budget and corporate reporting.to meet corporate policies and guidelines.
- Manage the FOI and Privacy budget expenses and provides monthly status updates to the Director of Corporate Projects, Policy and Liaison.
7.TEAMWORK AND COOPERATION
- Ability to foster engagement, encourage debate and build consensus in the undertaking of all divisional engagements.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment to achieve divisional goals and objectives while respecting diverse cultural backgrounds and perspectives.
- Represent the division on various cross-sectional teams
- Post-Secondary education in Business, Information Management, Public Administration, Law or related field.
- 5-7 years experience working with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) or other related access and privacy legislation
- 2-3 years supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated ability and knowledge to provide expert advice on the application of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA) to information access requests and the collection, use and protection of personal information
- Knowledge of Municipal, Regional, Provincial and Federal Governments and applicable Legislations
- Ability to identify business needs, initiate, coordinate project resource requests
- Customer Service and People Management skills; Interface with internal and external customers to meet corporate service standards
- Detail oriented, well organized, and able to coordinate and multi-task to accomplish a variety of tasks and activities meeting conflicting priorities and timelines
- Analytical skills for complex problem solving
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Why is this role important? Loblaw is seeking a qualified, energetic, hard-working and reliable leader to cover a 12-month parental leave within the Privacy Office, in the role of interim CPO. The i [...]
Lieu: 1 Presidents Choice Circle, Brampton, Ontario, L6Y 5S5 C’est toute une décision que de se joindre à une entreprise. Nous offrons des perspectives d’emploi à des personnes qui, comme v [...]
Bachelor's degree 2 years to less than 3 years Business Equipment and Computer Applications MS Excel MS PowerPoint MS Windows MS Word MS Office Work Setting Private sector [...]
Location: 1 Presidents Choice Circle, Brampton, Ontario, L6Y 5S5 The decision to join a company is a big one. We have opportunities for hard working, energetic and reliable people just like you. [...]