Calgary Board of Education.
Each student, in keeping with their individual abilities and gifts, will complete high school with a foundation of learning necessary to thrive in life, work and continued learning.
Students come first. Learning is our central purpose. Public education serves the common good.
The CBE strives to create a dynamic, diverse, and collaborative culture. We value diversity and welcome applications from all qualified individuals.
Competition Close Date: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 @ 11:59pm
Calendar: 12 Month Calendar
Salary: Staff Association Grade E, $26.51 - $34.64 per hour
FTE: 1.0 FTE, 35 Hours per Week
The purpose of this position is to process payments and waivers for student fees for the Calgary Board of Education (CBE). These fees include (but are not limited to) Noon Supervision, Charter Transportation, and Instructional Supplies and Material Fees (ISM) as identified by schools. This includes preparing billings, reconciliation and documentation of outstanding accounts, issuing tax receipts for Noon Supervision, and processing Calgary Transit bus pass rebates. This position is accountable for the timely and accurate analysis, preparation and regulation of CBE the accounts.
The incumbent is accountable for ensuring accuracy and efficiency in carrying out the assigned responsibilities in a professional and customer service orientated manner.
- Processes fee payments according to established procedures, including cheques and credit card payments. Checks accuracy of source documents, performs calculations and prepares data for entry. Verifies the accuracy of information before data entry of information into Student Information Registration System, Transportation System or other systems as required. Prepares and reconciles payment batches for submission to cashier.
- Processes and verifies data for refund requests.
- Coordinates monthly Calgary Transit bus pass rebate process according to pre-set schedules with bank for EFT transactions or other methods as determined.
- Provides a list of all unpaid ISM for funding. Maintains ISM database throughout the year. Computes amounts for school funding. Records payments from all sources for ISM. Maintains database for all years of unpaid ISM records. Conducts follow-up with Legal Services to ensure compliance. Processes adjustments as required.
- Maintains database throughout the years of all unpaid student fees. Maintains records of outstanding accounts and issues past due notices. Responds to inquiries and complaints on accounts receivable. Investigates and takes corrective action on problem accounts. Conducts follow-up by letter or telephone on a regular basis. Forwards outstanding accounts to a collection agency when internal collection procedures are exhausted.
- Utilizes and tests software applications and provides feedback for improvement to all processes related to student fees.
- Prepares detailed explanations of accounts receivable to be written off. Provides detailed explanations in support of the CBE providing for an allowance for doubtful accounts for each fee type.
- Issues tax receipts for Noon Supervision services.
- Provides assistance to parents and schools in preparing and filing all student fee forms and the waiver forms.
- Provides assistance to schools on all fee related administration matters.
- Processes applications for waiver of board mandated fees including ISM, Music Instrument Registration and Transportation fees. Compiles reports and statistics based on this information. Provides reports to individual schools and Transportation on a monthly basis.
- Maintains waiver database throughout the years of all waived fees and any rejected or appealed applications.
- Prepares and/or drafts letter of acceptance or rejection of waiver applications to parents and acceptance verification to schools.
- Assists parents in resolving issues with on-line fee payment system (access, viewing, fees owed) and other accounts receivable systems. Escalating unresolved issues to Information Technology department.
- Organizes and maintains files of documentation received (Noon Supervision registrations, waiver applications, and transportation contracts).
- Responds to all internal and external inquiries in written form, in person, by telephone, email and fax. Safeguards confidentiality of pertinent personal data in files and when responding to inquiries.
- Performs other related responsibilities as assigned to meet the purpose and accountabilities of the role.
Education and Experience
- High school completion, supplemented with minimum completion of two (2) years specialized accounting post-secondary education towards a recognized professional designation (i.e., CGA, CMA).
- A minimum of three years related experience.
- The ability to deal with sensitive and confidential issues in a tactful manner.
- Must be able to work with little supervision.
- An equivalent combination of directly related post-secondary education and directly related experience may be considered.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies
- Familiarity with a large computerized system a strong asset.
- Demonstrated working knowledge and skill in word processing, spreadsheet and database software applications.
- Must be able to consistently work in a setting that has a very high volume workload and short, tight timelines.
- Must have above average verbal and written communication skills and the ability to deal with sensitive and confidential issues in a tactful manner.
- Demonstrated customer service orientation.
- Ability to take initiative combined with a proactive aptitude.
- Demonstrated trustworthiness and integrity.
- Personal suitability.
Conditions of Employment
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, applicants new to the Calgary Board of Education WHO ARE OFFERED EMPLOYMENT must complete and pass a police security clearance before employment is confirmed.
Be Part of Our Success
Are you looking for an opportunity to join a team where your contribution makes a positive impact on the lives and learning of more than 125,000 CBE students? The Calgary Board of Education is looking for exceptional professionals to join our team. Our employees are highly valued and recognized, a career with the CBE offers incredible opportunities, rewards and supports.
We thank all candidates for their interest in this position however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Your opportunity BDO Canada is currently seeking a Manager, Cloud Services to join our growing Cloud Services practice. BDO’s Cloud Services Practice provides clients with a full suite of cloud ser [...]
Job title :MEDICAL OFFICE ASSISTANT/CLERK - CASTLEGAR HEALTH CENTRE Community :CASTLEGAR Facility :CASTLEGAR DIST HLTH CTR Status :CASUAL Position Summary We are seeking casual Medical Offic [...]
ARE YOU READY to step up to the New and take your technology expertise to the next level? There is never a typical day at Accenture, but that’s why we love it here! This is an extraordinary opport [...]
Objectif de l’emploi Comme il s’agit principalement d’un poste de vente, le titulaire de ce poste maximisera les ventes en faisant preuve de compétences solides en vente lorsqu’il aide les c [...]