Marine Atlantic Inc..
Share this page
Marine Atlantic Inc.
$310.00 - $375.00
$8,000.00 - $9,400.00
St. John's, Newfoundland
Application Review Date:
January 22, 2020
Marine Atlantic Inc. is a Crown corporation that provides a safe, environmentally responsible, and quality ferry service between the Island of Newfoundland and the Province of Nova Scotia in a reliable, courteous and cost-effective manner. The Corporation provides both year-round and seasonal ferry services.
The ferry service is a vital link to connect the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador with mainland Canada for both passengers and freight.
Marine Atlantic’s Board of Directors provides the overall policy direction for the Corporation and is charged with overseeing the direction of Marine Atlantic’s business activities. The Chairperson is responsible for providing leadership to the Board to ensure focused and productive discussions while facilitating and enabling the Board as a whole to effectively direct and oversee the affairs of the Corporation. The Chairperson is the key liaison between the Board and executive management as well as the formal link between the Minister of Transport and the Board.
Official Languages and Diversity
The Government of Canada will consider bilingual proficiency and diversity in assessing applicants. You are therefore encouraged to include in your online profile your ability to speak and understand your second official language. Preference may be given to applicants who are members of one or more of the following groups: women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and members of a visible minority group.
To be considered, please ensure that the information provided in your curriculum vitae and cover letter clearly demonstrate how you meet the following requirements:
Education and Experience
- Graduation with a degree from a recognized university or acceptable combination of equivalent education, training and job related experience;
- Experience serving on Boards of Directors of public, private or not-for-profit organization, preferably as Chairperson;
- Experience in implementing modern corporate governance principles and best practices in a culture of accountability and transparency;
- Management experience at the senior executive level, including managing human and financial resources and dealing with senior representatives of government or the private sector;
- Experience in dealing with senior representatives of different levels of Government and the private sector;
- Experience in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with business partners and other key stakeholders; and
- Experience in one or more of the following areas would be considered an asset: transportation sector, business community (preferably marine), legal, human resources, consumer satisfaction and marketing, organizational change, procurement, and project management.
If you move on to the next stage of the selection process, the following criteria will be assessed:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the Marine Atlantic Inc.’s mandate, mission, strategic priorities, and business activities;
- Knowledge of the role and responsibilities of the Chairperson, the Board of Directors and the President and Chief Executive Officer including fundamental accountabilities to the Government of Canada as shareholder;
- Knowledge of the public policy environment facing a Crown corporation and a general understanding of the legislative environment in which it operates, including the Financial Administration Act;
- Knowledge of financial and human resources management;
- Knowledge of corporate governance and best practices;
- Knowledge of strategic corporate planning, monitoring, and evaluation of corporate performance;
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with the Minister, the Deputy Minister, and the Corporation’s business partners and stakeholders;
- Ability to anticipate emerging issues and lead organizational change;
- Ability to foster debate and discussion among Board members to facilitate consensus; and
- Superior communication skills, both written and oral, including the ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with stakeholders, public institutions, senior government officials and other organizations.
Proficiency in both official languages would be preferred.
If you move on to the next stage of the selection process, we will contact your references to confirm that you meet the above selection criteria and that you possess the following Personal Attributes:
- Sound judgment
- High ethical standards and integrity
- Superior leadership and interpersonal skills
- Tact and diplomacy
- Strategic thinker
Eligibility Factors and Conditions of Employment
- Appointees must comply with the Ethical and Political Activity Guidelines for Public Office Holders throughout their appointment as a term and condition of employment. The guidelines are available on the Governor in Council Appointments website under the Forms and reference material.
- All appointees are subject to the Conflicts of Interest Act. Public office holders appointed on a full-time basis must also submit to the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics within 60 days of appointment, a confidential report in which they disclose all of their assets, liabilities and outside activities. For more information, please visit the Office of the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner's website.
- Appointees must uphold the highest standards of probity and are expected to demonstrate behaviours in the workplace that afford respect, equality and dignity, to everyone they interact with at work at all times. The Values and Ethics Code for the Public Sector outlines the values and expected behaviours for public servants, including valuing diversity and creating workplaces free from harassment and discrimination. Governor in Council appointees are expected to uphold and respect these values and principles in a positive and active manner.
- No officer or employee of a Crown corporation or any of its affiliates, other than the chief executive officer of a parent Crown corporation, shall be a director of the parent Crown corporation (Statutory).
- The successful candidate must be willing to chair a schedule of Board meetings. The Chairperson sits as an ex-officio member with voting rights on all committees of the Board. The Board also meets by teleconference several times per year, as required.
- The Chairperson is expected to commit approximately 20 days annually plus travel and preparation time.
- Meetings rotate amongst various locations in which Marine Atlantic operates: St. John’s (headquarters), Port aux Basques, and North Sydney.
- A preference may be given to candidates who reside in Newfoundland and Labrador or Nova Scotia.
A link to this notice will be placed in the Canada Gazette to assist the Governor in Council in identifying qualified candidates. It is not, however, intended to be the sole means of recruitment. A list of qualified candidates may be established and may be used for similar opportunities.
How to Apply
Review of applications will begin on January 22, 2020. Candidates must apply online via the Governor in Council Appointments website. Candidates are strongly encouraged to submit their applications by this date. After this date, your application will be retained and may be considered up until an appointment to the position is made. Your cover letter should be addressed to the Deputy Director of Selection Processes, Senior Personnel Secretariat, Privy Council Office, and should be sent only through the online application.
Instructions on how to apply for an appointment opportunity can be found on the Governor in Council Appointments website.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Share this page Portfolio: Transport Organization: Marine Atlantic Inc. Position title: Chairperson Type: Part-time Per diem: $310.00 - $375.00 Annual retainer: $8, [...]
Share this page Portfolio: Northern Affairs Organization: Canadian High Arctic Research Station Position title: Member - AMENDMENT Type: Part-time Per diem: $375.00 - $45 [...]
Share this page Portfolio: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Organization: Immigration and Refugee Board Position title: Assistant Deputy Chairperson Type: Full-time Sa [...]
Share this page Portfolio: Transport Organization: Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada Position title: Chairperson and Member Type: Full-time Salary range: $183,600. [...]