Online Instructional Assistant
SAIT is a global leader in applied education and an institution that empowers employees to make a difference in the lives of our students.
Building on more than a century of history, we are looking for innovative employees wanting to create a future with us. As part of our team, you are encouraged to be bold and inventive, bringing new ideas to the table. Change excites you.
Along with competitive benefits, gourmet on-campus restaurants run by our culinary program and an unparalleled view of downtown Calgary, SAIT offers the chance to do work with a purpose — preparing the next generation of industry leaders, entrepreneurs, advocates and explorers.
We develop leaders in the classroom and our workspaces, encouraging lifelong learning for both students and employees.
Your future starts now … at SAIT.
Within SAIT, the Centre of Continuing Education and Professional Studies is seeking moderators to professionally manage the learning process of the students and to ensure that students achieve established learning objectives to the maximum of their potential. The moderator’s role is to assist and collaborate with the course facilitator to maintain control and flow of the online class.
This is a part-time, contract opportunity to moderate continuing education or corporate training online classes using Zoom or Brightspace.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Admit participants from the waiting room and monitor continued access to the group
- Collect participant list from operations or the client
- Take attendance at the beginning of the class and throughout to ensure 70% attendance
- Change the participant list names for simplicity and accuracy
- Address technical issues and questions
- Send out student assessments if necessary
- Control mutes
- Facilitate chat questions, provide additional detail in chat to facilitate the understanding,
- Provide attachments and hand outs
Work Environment and Equipment
- The majority of this position is done from home/office by virtual means.
- This position will require the successful incumbent to work from a fully home or remote office.
- The physical demands of this role include high attention and focus for durations of time.
- The incumbent is encouraged to work from an ergonomically fitted workspace with intermittent standing and sitting rotations
- The psychological demands of the workspace depend on the incumbent’s home office set up
- High engagement is required of incumbents for attention to detail, listening, comprehension, problem solving, discussion, and writing with accuracy and detail.
This position is the subject matter expert in:
- Can think creatively, strategically and logically
- Has a positive attitude and an adaptable, creative mindset
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, Zoom, Learning Management Systems
- Experience with virtual training, Brightspace
- Demonstrates a knowledge of all areas of web based learning and virtual classrooms
The incumbent will possess:
- Teaching experience at a post-secondary institute in Canada is considered an asset
- Online Classroom moderator experience is preferred
- Excellent communication skills; the ability to organize and present written information
- Strong commitment to delivery high quality instruction within set deadlines
- Strong technology acumen
Occupational Health and Safety
- Understands and complies with SAIT’s Occupational Health and Safety policy and related policies and procedures.
- Has knowledge of and understands their role and expectations outlined in:
- SAIT’s Occupational Health, Safety and Environment (HS&E;) Management System, and its supplementary procedures and complementary documents;
- their applicable School/Department’s health and safety procedures.
- Participates in all HS&E; related programs & activities as required, including incident reporting, safe work practices and procedures, and potential hazards management associated with the work environment.
- Refrains from actions and behaviours that might constitute violence, discrimination or harassment.
- Ensures all work conducted is performed in accordance with Alberta’s Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulation and Code, and other legislation as applicable.
Why Work at SAIT
Enjoy a stimulating work environment, a beautiful campus overlooking downtown Calgary and a great benefits package including: comprehensive health and dental coverage, a defined benefit pension plan, professional development programs, generous paid time off, free access to our Wellness Centre, transit subsidies and more.
Why Work at SAIT
Please continue with the online application process by clicking the Apply Now button
All applications should be made through our online system.
SAIT is committed to equity and diversity within its community and invites applications from all qualified applicants.
AUPE: This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit.
Conditions of Employment
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, all applicants to the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology must complete and pass a police security clearance before employment is confirmed. Employment is conditional until a satisfactory police security clearance is obtained and confirmed. Employment with SAIT will not commence until the results have been provided and confirmed.
SAIT’s vision is to be a global leader in applied education
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Location: Calgary, Alberta Job Description: Looking to join an energetic and dynamic warehouse team? Pet Valu, a specialty retailer of pet food and supplies, is looking for candidates like you! [...]
St. John Reception Centre 15 – 12 Street NW, Calgary Overall Accountability The Administrative Secretary, Education Centres provides clerical and administrative support to the Supervisor, team me [...]
Revera is a leading provider of seniors’ accommodation, care and services; built on a more than 50-year history of helping seniors live life to the fullest. We reward excellence and provide exciting [...]
A little about us At Shaw, we’re proud to be leaders in a movement that brings Canadians the connectivity they need to fuel their lives. We’re making bold moves to connect Canadians and we’r [...]