Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan Board
Intern - Consultant, Infrastructure & Natural ResourcesDuration of Internship: 4 months# of roles: 1 The opportunitySeptember 2020 - December 2020
Are you curious to learn more about how we create value working with our global portfolio of companies? Do you want to solve real problems by bringing a new point of view? Do you thrive in a fast-paced working environment? If so, join Ontario Teachers’ Infrastructure & Natural Resources (INR) group and work in the Value Creation and Analytics team. We are looking for dedicated self-starters who share our passion for value creation and want to learn how we work with management and asset teams around the world. Our work is project-based and spans the entire INR portfolio,
ranging from airports to water utilities.
If you are an excellent team player who can manage projects in an ambiguous environment and is interested in learning about asset management in the exciting infrastructure and natural resources sector, then this is the opportunity for you.
Who you’ll work with
You will be part of the Value Creation & Analytics team (VCA), a distinct team within the INR group that is similar to an in-house consultant. The VCA mandate is to work on value creation and value protection initiatives together with our highly-specialized asset teams as well as the management teams of our companies.
You will be helping us deliver growing, inflation-linked cash flows over a long-term investment horizon.
We manage a geographically-diverse C$25 billion global investment portfolio and have offices in Toronto, Canada and London, United Kingdom, with additional presences in Santiago, Chile and Melbourne, Australia. Our investments are primarily through direct, privately-held, controlling or co-controlling stakes, rather than through funds or passive holdings. Taking an active approach to asset management is part of our value proposition.
The INR team consists of over 45 investment professionals with a long track record of delivering exceptional returns.
What you’ll do
As an Intern within the VCA team, you will be working on distinct projects that are meaningful to either an individual company or across the entire portfolio.
In particular, you will:
- Hone your consulting skills by working on real world problems;
- Analyse tough questions and come up with the best answer;
- Learn to identify key value drivers and risks in infrastructure and natural resources companies;
- Work in an ambiguous environment where the answer is not always obvious;
- Identify the ‘so what’ and think outside the box;
- Learn about asset management for a diversified, global portfolio;
- Prepare presentations and reports to senior investment professionals;
- Develop, research and present a term project together with other interns of the INR group
What you’ll need
- Demonstrated interest in business topics, investments and value creation
- Previous experience in consulting, infrastructure or natural resource companies is a definite asset; experience in investment management or investment banking will also be considered
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills to perform in-depth analysis
- Experience working on projects on cyber security and familiarity with the space is an asset
- Comfort working with, efficiently manipulating and performing advanced analytics on large data sets is beneficial
- Keen initiative to analyse and draw solutions to ambiguous problems
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and initiatives while remaining detail-oriented
- Intellectual curiosity
- Must be enrolled in 3rd / 4th year or related Master’s program
- You must be enrolled in a co-op program or returning back to your studies after the work term is completed
What we’re offering
- Opportunity to learn about the application of disruptive technologies to new and emerging sectors
- Gain exposure to tech-enabled business models across different industries
- Numerous opportunities for professional growth and development through lunch and learns and online learning through Degreed which offers thousands of courses on a variety of different subjects
At Ontario Teachers’, diversity is one of our core strengths. We are a globally minded organization and take pride ensuring that the people we hire and the culture we create reflect and celebrate diversity of thought, background and experience.
There are also many learning opportunities available to students through various methods such as in person presentations, lunch and learns and through online learning which offers thousands of courses on a number of different subjects.
Accommodations are available upon request for candidates with a disability taking part in the recruitment process and once hired.
How to apply
Are you ready to pursue new challenges and take your career to the next level? Submit your application online at www.otpp.com/careers and apply to requisition #2844 The following documents are required to be uploaded with your application:
- Copy of your transcripts
**Once your resume is uploaded, you may use the ‘upload’ button to attach more documents such as those required and outlined above.
You will also be invited to complete a pre-recorded digital interview as part of your application. This portion of your application will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.
The deadline to apply for this role is June 30th, 2020.
Please note that as part of our eligibility criteria it is required you are available to begin on or before September 14th, 2020 for onboarding and training purposes.
We thank you for applying, however, only those selected for a personal interview will be contacted. Note that candidates must be legally entitled to work in the country where this role is located.
The privacy of your personal information is important to us. Please visit our Privacy Centre to learn how we handle your personal information.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
Job Summary How would you like to work with one of Canada's most prestigious and well respected automotive groups? Join Auto World Imports Network! Headquartered in Thornhill Ontario, we are a premi [...]
Administrative Coordinator - Academic Appointments and HRIS Job Number: 2001968 Faculty / Division: Faculty of Medicine Department: Psychiatry Campus: St. George (downtown Toronto) Description: [...]
Are you ready to grow your career by taking on a new role at Bell? We always look for qualified internal applicants within our own team to support their development. Bell’s forward-thinking Custom [...]
Established business for over 35 years. Upscale salon looking for an nail technician to take over a full clientele. Needed when Durham region gets the go ahead. Call 905-440-0523 [...]