Metis Nation of Ontario.
Internal/External Job Posting
Indeterminate, Full-time Position
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Closes: August 30, 2019 - 4:30 p.m.
The Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) is seeking an enthusiastic and qualified team player to serve as the Finance & Procurement Officer within Infinity Property Services (IPS), an agency of the MNO. This permanent, full-time position is based in The Métis Nation of Ontario office in Toronto, Ontario with some travel throughout the region. This position includes enrolment in the Registered Retirement Plan and group benefits program after successful completion of three-month probation.
The Finance & Procurement Officer is a key member of the Infinity Property Services—Metis Nation of Ontario team and reports to the General Manager. The Finance & Procurement Officer is responsible for the planning, implementation, managing and running of the organizations’ financial activity, including business planning, forecasting and procurement. The Finance & Procurement Officer will direct all fiscal functions of the organization in accordance with regulatory and advisory organizations, while balancing responsibilities of stewardship and business partnership. The Finance & Procurement Officer works in conjunction with all Infinity Property Service—Metis Nation of Ontario employees, while carrying out the duties and responsibilities of their position. The Finance & Procurement Officer’s duties include administration of the financial and procurement systems. This includes monitoring all expenses, budgets, contracts, and agreements within the organization to comply with approved policies, while maintaining ethical accounting and procurement principles, practices and procedures.
In carrying out the following duties, it is expected that the Finance & Procurement Officer will:
- Fully understand the significance and fundamental importance of MNO’s Statement of Prime Purpose (SPP) to all MNO’s work, and to the requirements of the position specifically
- Adhere to MNO Policies and Procedures and MNO’s Financial Policies and Procedures at all times
- Uphold MNO’s Standards of Professional Conduct at all times
- Adhere to Privacy Laws and respect confidential information at all times
- The employee must be cognizant of the Ontario Employment Standards Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workers' Safety and Insurance Board, Ontario Human Rights Code, Canadian Human Rights Act, and other legislative provisions governing the employment relationship between MNO and the employee
- Ensure that all activities are conducted in accordance with established Métis Nation of Ontario Policies and Procedures and Contribution Agreements (CA)
- Work in collaboration within the Branch, other MNO branches, MNO leadership, MNO citizens, MNO contractors and consultants on related projects
Reporting to the General Manager, the duties include but are not limited to:
- Use current financial policies and make recommendations/changes to ensure operational efficiency. Review, analyze and make recommendations as required or requested by the General Manager and/or as required to meet accounting standards or to ensure the day-to-day operations run smoothly. Annual review is required.
- Plan, develop, review, revise and provide yearly work plans and reports regarding the finance department. Prepare and submit reports to the General Manager as required.
- Prepare budgets, budget forecasts, analysis and make recommendations monthly, quarterly, yearly and multi-yearly. Ensure all departments and employees are aware of their budgets.
- Conduct periodic financial analysis to identify and resolve issues, gaps or variances.
- Assist the General Manager with all aspects of the annual audit, including, recommendations and posting for an auditing firm; preparing and coordinating with the auditor on the year-end audit and assisting with the audit report.
- Ensure data integrity in all financial reporting and efficient accounting operations of the organization including the review of journal entries, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, the financial system and all statutory reporting.
- Assist with budgets and forecasting activities, including preparation, analysis and presentation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial results. Ensure the records are accurate and provided in a timely manner for accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash flow, payroll, purchase orders, grants, bank reconciliations etc. for internal and external reporting as required.
- Utilize accounting system functionality, prepare and post adjusting and recurring journal entries and update general ledger accounts for monthly revenue and expenditure transactions; analyze and reconcile accounts to the general ledger as required; generate monthly trial balances; prepare year-end accruals and adjustments; prepare reversing entries and close the general ledger.
- Prepare and conduct final review of all funding proposals before submitting to General Manager.
- Work in conjunction with all employees to identify financial sources and to ensure funding and/or grant applications are sufficient and reasonable to carry out the work required.
- Ensure all transactions have been properly approved and comply with the Infinity Property Services—Metis Nation of Ontario financial policy, procedures and any required financial standards.
- Ensure that the financial operating system is secure and the confidentiality of all information is upheld to protect all employees and Infinity Property Services—Metis Nation of Ontario information.
- Assist with financial aspects of program administration.
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned by the General Manager or designate(s).
- Use current procurement policies and make recommendations/changes to ensure operational efficiency. Review, analyze and make recommendations as required or requested by the General Manager and/or as required to meet procurement standards or to ensure the day-to-day operations run smoothly.
- Make recommendations on any contracts the Infinity Property Services—Metis Nation of Ontario is a party to such as rentals, telephone, computers, vehicles, heritage, etc. that have financial implications for the organization.
- Plan, develop, review, revise and provide yearly procurement work plans and reports regarding the procurement department. Prepare and submit reports to the General Manager as requested.
- Create a procurement strategy in partnership with the General Manager.
- Research and source key suppliers based on price, quality, delivery, discount terms, service after sale, etc.
- Develop effective relationships with suppliers to facilitate business transactions.
- Process requisitions, issue purchase orders and enter into the system.
- Work closely with all employees to best determine the goods and services they will require, including making recommendations, researching new products and providing current information.
- Follow up to ensure vendor and materials performance was satisfactory.
- onduct final review of all procurement before submitting to General Manager.
- Establish and determine inventory levels to optimize inventory level/investment.
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned by the General Manager or designate(s).
Required Formal Education & Training:
- Degree in Business/Accounting from a recognized college or university, with preference for an advanced degree or professional accounting designation, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in all aspects of corporate accounting, financial management and procurement management.
- Technical diploma or equivalent work experience in purchasing materials is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills both written and verbally.
- Exceptional problem-solving, time management and analytical skills to prioritize work load pressures and deadlines.
- Proven experience assisting with financial and procurement audits performed by external audit firms.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word) and a high degree of digital literacy. Willingness and ability to adapt to and learn new software.
- Experience with Great Plains, ACCPAC/ SAGE accounting software.
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Exceptional time management and prioritization skills.
- Proven experience working efficiently and effectively as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and meet set deadlines while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Familiarity with the Residential Tenancies Act, Housing Services Act, Landlord and Tenant Tribunal, Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal, Ontario Building Codes, and Geared to Income Housing criteria.
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Preference may be given to qualified Métis candidates.
The Métis Nation of Ontario welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Impress this employer describing Your skills and abilities, fill out the form below and leave Your personal touch in the presentation letter.
In the Facilities Management department, we take pride in our buildings and grounds and provide a welcoming, service-oriented, clean and safe environment for our students, faculty and staff. Gener [...]
Position Overview: The Continuous Improvement Specialist is the master of process for Canada Goose business providing analytical support to functions across the entire business. Identifies and impro [...]
Montréal, QC Desjardins Group is the largest cooperative financial group in Canada, and one of the largest employers in the country. It offers a full range of financial products and services and is [...]
Ottawa, ON Part-time Location: 1980 Baseline Rd, Ottawa, Ontario, K2C0C6 The decision to join a company is a big one. We have opportunities for hard working, energetic and reliable people just l [...]